Students seek future opportunities

One-minute introductions are crucial in making a good, first impression to potential employers.  On Tuesday Feb. 3, students at Western Illinois University had the opportunity to meet with possible employers and learn more about the various companies.

 Name, class, major, opportunities that you are seeking, experience, skills and strength, and background knowledge on a company, was the formula recommended by the Western Illinois University Career Development Center for introducing oneself to potential employers at the biannual Career and Internship Fair.

 The Career and Internship Fair was held in the University Union Grand Ballroom from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. 

  All majors were welcome to attend the career fair. And over 90 different booths in the Grand Ballroom included a variety of internships and job openings in fields such as: agriculture,  supply chain management, finance and accounting. 

 Ben Wolfe, a construction management major, was hoping for an opportunity from Bush Construction. 

 “I’m trying to look for an internship,” Wolfe said.  “I live in the Quad Cities and that’s the general area that I want to work.”

 Along with Bush Construction, seven other construction management and engineering booths were set up.

 However, Western Illinois University has been able to provide Wolfe with more than just job opportunities at the Career and Internship Fair.  

Western, however, has been able to provide Wolfe with more than just job opportunities at the fair.  

“Construction management does things like surveying, estimating floor plans, masonry work, there’s a lot that goes with it,” Wolfe said. “I was trying to find a good program for construction management, and Western was the best choice.”

The Career Development Center encourages those attending the fair to come prepared.  

According to Rachel Nelson, a communications major, she had five resumes prepared to hand out to companies that interested her.

“I really wanted to look for an internship for this summer,” Nelson said. “It’s not required, but it’s good to have.”

Nelson had specific interests in mind at the fair.  She said she was looking for internships with insurance groups, marketing and communications opportunities.

“I’m not good at math,” Nelson said. “I’m not good at science, and I love talking. So, I chose communications.”

For other students, such as Justin Ginter, a marketing major, the fair presented itself as an educational opportunity.

Ginter was originally a meteorology major, but after taking business classes, she said she decided to make a change.  

“I’m not even well prepared,” Ginter said. “I don’t have a resume or anything. I’m just looking for an internship, so I can get my foot through the door.”

Other students in attendance were more than prepared, such as Franklin Mead, a supply chain management major.

“I got myself an internship for this upcoming summer, but it doesn’t hurt to look for more,” Mead said.  “This is my fourth time coming to one of these career fairs the past few years.”

Mead was also hoping to find new opportunities.  

“Right now, my main goal is to look for an internship that could possibly lead to a full-time position,” Mead said. “Anything in purchasing or transportation.  I’m open to being whatever they need me to be like.”

Mead dabbled in a variety of business related majors before choosing his current major. 

“Supply chain management is really good here.  I have a lot of opportunities to try to find a job,” Mead said.

Outside of the University Grand Ballroom, students had the opportunity to have their resumes looked over before approaching potential employers. Name tags displaying a person’s name, major and expected graduation dates were also created.

Editor’s note: Rachel Nelson, who is quoted in the story, is also the ad manager for the Western Courier.