WIU dances for Children’s Miracle Network

Dance Marathon, a fundraising event to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network of Greater St. Louis, will be coming to Western Illinois University for its second year.  

 Cassidy Pogue, a communication sciences and disorders and Spanish major, learned about Dance Marathon her sophomore year.  Wanting to get more involved, Pogue applied to the board and became president of Western’s biggest philanthropy event.

 “Dance Marathon is a year-long fundraiser that raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals,” Pogue said.  “The event is 12 hours.  We base that off the fact that the typical shift for a doctor and nurse is 12 hours.”

 Last year, Dance Marathon raised $22,000, exceeding the original goal of $12,000.  This year, the goal is to raise $40,000 and have 500 participating students. Dance Marathon recently raised a little over $20,000 and has over 400 participants.

 “There’s going to be different games and activities,” Pogue said. “We have different performances from like House Arrest 2 and different singing groups on campus.”

 Along with entertainment from dancing and singing performances, there will be special speakers throughout the event to motivate more fundraising.

 “Families that we raise money for will actually be at the event telling their story about how CMN Hospitals have impacted them,” Pogue said.  “Basically, it’s a huge celebration of all the fundraising that we’ve done throughout the year.”

 Pogue heard about Dance Marathon her sophomore year when the idea was first circling around.

 “It was actually my sophomore year when they first got started looking for people to be on the board for the first event,” Pogue said.  “I wasn’t really involved too much then, and I really wanted to be, so I looked more into it.  I applied to be on the board and fell in love with the event and what it was about.”

 Dance Marathon will be held on March 7 at 12 p.m. and will continue until 12 a.m. on March 8.  The event is open for all Western students, faculty and staff to register and participate.

 “We’re going to have a community hour, probably around 3 or 4 (p.m.), where we want to invite people from the community to just come and visit to see what the event is about,” Pogue said.  “But that’s just for an hour.”

 The marathon will be held in the Grand Ballroom of the University Union.  To register as a participant or to donate, students can go to

tinyurl.com/WIUDM15 and fill out a registration form.  A video of last year’s eventis also located on YouTube by searching “Dance Marathon at Western Illinois University” to give participants an idea about what the event is like.

 “It’s basically a huge party,” Pogue said.  “It’s a huge, fun event.  (It’s) something you don’t want to miss out on, especially since it’s our second year.  It’s only going to get better.”

 Questions about the event can be emailed to Cassidy Pogue, Dance Marathon Leadership Team President, at CG-Pogue@wiu.edu or to Ashley Katz, University Dance Marathon Advisor, at AW-Katz@wiu.edu.