St. Baldrick’s raises awareness

Kayla Trail

 Lori Schild, a Law Enforcement major, was truly living like there’s no tomorrow while she had her long hair shaved off as Sia’s “Chandelier” was playing in the background at Tanner Hall. 

 Students and volunteers were brought together yesterday in order to shave their heads and donate money in hopes to raise awareness for childhood cancer.

 “A friend of mine named Alex had cancer, and he died about two years ago from childhood cancer,” Schild said. “I wanted to donate just for him.”

 The St. Baldrick’s foundation brought volunteers and participants to Tanner Hall from all over the town of Macomb. Hair stylists from Michael’s Hair Designers were present helping the fundraising process while their new clients chose different designs to have shaved in their hair. Some opted to have “SB” shaved into their hair for St. Baldricks before taking it all off. 

 Michael’s Hair Designers has participated in this event for about 15 years hair stylist Tina Mahoney said, who’s worked with them for 27 years. 

 “It is just an amazing cause, I think, to raise money for children’s cancer,” Mahoney said. “We (Michael’s Hair Designers) try to do everything we can in the community to help others, and I get creative (shaving designs into students’ hair) because I think it is fun.”

 Event coordinator, Jerone Lester said it was too soon to tally up the total amount raised just yet as the event was still going, but guessed that they have gotten around $700 to $800 on top of the $7,000 already raised. 

 Tanner Hall residents were in attendance volunteering at tables, handing out treats, taking before and after pictures and handing out T-shirts and pins for participants after they shaved their hair.

Mirissa Martin, a social work major, was one of the students to participate. Martin is a member of Alpha Phi Omega and said her fraternity is a service fraternity, so the organization solely volunteers to help out the community. 

“I love to volunteer, and this is a great cause,” Martin said. “The thing I like the most, is watching people shave their heads. Just to have that courage to come out and shave, especially women, I love seeing women shave their head because that bald is beautiful.” 

Microbiology major Patrick Bird said it is his final semester at Western, so he wanted to take advantage of this opportunity to be a part of the event. 

As for advice on why students should partake in this event in the future, Bird said, “Just do it.” 

Lester aimed for this to be an event for students to have fun while supporting a great cause, and according to those who participated, that was exactly what happened. Being a part of this event, students were instantly surrounded by life, laughter and love. Students hugged one another, faculty present laughed at jokes told by students and volunteers danced to the music provided.

“One girl, she shaved, and she is still going through cancer,” Martin said. “But (she) and her friend shaved together, so that is just a proud moment in itself. I really like that.”