Olivia Rodrigo got her driver’s license

Peyton Finnegan , Courier Staff

If you have a TikTok account, then you are familiar with Olivia Rodrigo’s new song, “Drivers License.” Since the release of this song, drama has surfaced, which drew a lot of recent attention to her as well as others involved.

Fans of the Disney+ original show “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” are following the gossip surrounding Rodrigo’s new single “Drivers License,” which they believe was inspired by a love triangle between her and show co-stars Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter. The three are said to be entangled in a real life “love triangle.”

Rodrigo, 17, shared the new song on Jan. 4. Later that day, Bassett, 20, announced his upcoming single “Lie Lie Lie” on Instagram, available to stream on Jan. 14. Rodrigo and Bassett, who play Nini Salazar-Roberts and Ricky Bowen in “HSMTMTS,” respectively, were an on-screen couple before they were also linked offstage, entertainment outlets reported. But that didn’t last long, apparently. In August, Rodrigo shared a video on TikTok captioned, “And that’s on failed relationships,” along with the song “All I Want” from the series’ original soundtrack, but fans quickly began to speculate if the sentiment was inspired by real life.

Rodrigo’s new solo track, “Drivers License,” parallels the “HSMTMTS” storyline, including the cryptic lyric, “I guess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me.” Fans online postulated that this was a reference to Bassett’s own solo singles, “Common Sense” and “Anyone Else,” which debuted in 2020.

That’s where Carpenter, also known as Maya Hart from the Disney reboot “Girl Meets World,” comes in. It was rumored that Carpenter and Bassett began their romance after Rodrigo and Bassett split sometime last year.

Fans think “HSMTMTS” co-stars may already be picking sides, noting that several cast members congratulated Rodrigo for her new release on social media. Meanwhile, only one series peer, Joe Serafini, who plays Seb Mathew Smith, commented on Bassett’s new single announcement.