Rob Jeter and Co. look to rebuild Leatherneck program

Brendan Reidy, Courier Staff

It’s not secret that the Western Illinois men’s basketball team has struggled the last six years under the Billy Wright era. After losing season after season, the Leathernecks finally got the change they so desperately needed. They opted to bring an experienced coach who has had success at the Division I level. After plenty of rumors on who the next coach would be, they ultimately decided to bring in coach Rob Jeter.

Jeter has been around the college basketball scene for quite some time, but he’s known for his tenure with the University of Milwaukee. Coach Jeter left UWM as the all-time winningest coach with an 185-170 record from 2006-2015. He was also able to secure a win in the NCAA tournament against No. 5 seeded Oklahoma. After his time with Milwaukee, he became an assistant head coach at Minnesota and UNLV. Jeter brings an impressive resume to Western Illinois, but more importantly, he brings an intriguing assistant coach with him as well.

Nick Irvin was one of the first coaches Jeter announced that was going to be one of his assistant coaches. Irvin is one of Chicago’s most legendary coaches, and it was a big surprise to see him leave his very successful program he created at Morgan Park High School. He brings a plethora of connections from the Chicagoland Area and is going to be a huge factor when it comes to recruiting in Chicago. His impact is already being made after Western has signed three of his former high school players.

Western Illinois hoops is in good hands with these two at the helm, and it will be a fun time to follow this team with the program on the rise. Hopefully, Jeter and Co. can lead this team to some March magic in the years to come.