UUB adjusts plans amid challenging circumstances

Rachel Greene, Editor-in-chief

Event planning on campus has become a difficult feat for student leaders.

The University Union Board (UUB) at Western Illinois University has a long track record of providing free events to all students on campus. The organization was founded on campus in 1962. On the UUB website it says, “UUB serves at the premier programming board of Western Illinois University, which plans and provides social, cultural, recreational and educational activities, which are inclusive to the needs of the entire campus, with an emphasis on the student body.” This year, they are attempting to keep the tradition alive, even in the midst of a time when events are restricted.

Junior student Gretchen Maier, the Vice President of Internal Relations for UUB said, “We are doing the best we can under the circumstances to adjust to the new university policies while continuing to provide a variety of events. While this has proven to be a challenge, we are excited to enact new ideas and collaborate with groups we have never collaborated with before. Some new events we plan on hosting this year are a scarecrow building and decorating contest as well as virtual and social distanced editions of our traditional events such as UUBingo and Tie Dye. Everything continues to change and we are doing our best to remain compliant while also serving the students to the same standard we always uphold our organization to.”

UUB has hosted a bracelet making event, a virtual photo scavenger hunt, virtual UUBingo and more. In the future, they are hosting a sunset yoga event this Saturday and have more events in the works, both virtual and in person, for the months of October and November. The group meets weekly on Mondays in person in the Capitol Room of the University Union, staying six feet apart and wearing masks. 

Senior student Raven Little, the Vice President of Communications for UUB said, “My job has become even more crucial this year than in years past. Suddenly, social media is the only way we can reach most students. While tabling is allowed in certain areas on campus, few students seem to be out and about and others have opted to stay at home this semester rather than reside on or around campus. We are constantly brainstorming graphics, livestreams and challenges that will appeal to the student body. It is a struggle to recruit new members to join, but we will welcome them with open arms!”

 All events hosted by UUB this year will be posted on their social media accounts. Their Twitter, Instagram and TikTok can be found at @wiu_uub.