Black student organizations celebrate Black History Month

Devon Greene, editor-in-chief

Black student organizations are celebrating people, places and events during Black History Month and students and community members have a chance to remember one of the most important institutions in the fight against slavery.

The festivities are continuing today as the Western Illinois University Black Student Association hosts an event in remembrance of the Underground Railroad at 4:30 p.m. in Horrabin Hall.

The Black Student Association has been active on social media all month for Black History Month. On their Twitter account, the BSA has started a thread entitled “29 Shades of Black,” where they have posted a significant person, quote or questions relating to African American heroes and icons. The thread includes commemorations to Shirley Chilson, who was the first black congresswoman in the United States and was also the first major party black candidate to run for office, Trayvon Martin, a teen who was killed on Feb. 26, 2012, Rosa Parks, a civil rights activist who fought against segregation and more.

The BSA is not the only African American student organization shining a spotlight on influential African American people in the world. Western’s National Association for Black Journalists have also started a thread on Twitter where members of their organization pick a broadcaster that has significance in their life. Names like Tameron Hall, ESPN’s Steven A. Smith, ABC’s Val Warner and Terrence J. have been the first to be recognized by members of NABJ with more to come as Black History Month rolls along.

Black organizations have been hosting events all over campus to begin the month and more are planned going forward. The WIU Nation Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) has held a Super Bowl Party, Black History Trivia Night and the Essence of Black Love discussion night where they discussed what love means to them and the importance of “black love.”

The African American Student Association held their fourth annual Taste of Africa which celebrated African culture and cuisine and held a Mr. and Miss. Africa pageant. The National Association of Black Accountants held a Valentine’s Day Sip and Paint where participants painted together.

As for upcoming events, Thursday will feature two events including a Bake Sale hosted by the NABJ and a “3 on 3 Shoot Out” hosted by Campus Recreation, Black Students Association and Gwendolyn Brooks Cultural Center. As of Feb. 14, 16 teams have signed up for the 3 on 3 basketball tournament and registration is still open on IMLeagues.com or by emailing Chester Griffith at CM-Griffith@wiu.edu.