Office of Student Activities holds annual Angel Tree event

Rachel Greene, edge editor

As the holiday season quickly approaches, so does an initiative designed to ensure that as part of their annual Angel Tree event, the Office of Student Activities Leadership and Service graduate assistant, Cecilia Langill and Taylor Eggerton, respectively have collaborated with the Salvation Army in an effort to give back to Macomb community members in need.

The concept is simple: a tree will be set up in the University Union Concourse near the computer lab. Students will be able to take an angel off of the tree and can then log their name at the Union Service Desk near the bookstore. On each angel, a specific item will be listed that has been requested by someone in need, such as toys, clothes or anything that someone may need to help make their holiday season more enjoyable. The new, unwrapped gift items can be brought to the Office of Student Activities (OSA) before Dec. 6 at 4:30 p.m. All students, faculty and staff are welcome to take an angel and give a gift to someone less fortunate this holiday season.

“Over the past few years, Western Illinois University has been able to donate hundreds of gifts to the Macomb Community,” Eggerton said. “Angel Tree is an opportunity to spread the holiday spirit to the community of Macomb, which we get to call home during our time in college.”

“Having participated in the Angel Tree the last two years, I’m excited to see it continuing this year,” Marc Ramirez said. “My organization typically chooses one angel a year to go all out on. It’s not only great to give back to the community but to be able to do it to spread some holiday cheer makes it so much better.”