Student Government Association needs quorum to make change

The Student Government Association held their weekly meeting Tuesday; however, no business was able to be conducted since there weren’t enough senators present to make quorum.

Speaker of the Senate Markeysha Marshall passed around a sign-in sheet and a contact information sheet for Senators to begin collaborating with one another to start creating more meaningful legislation to help Senators better assist their constituents. The meeting was supposed to start with a Zoom from Spin Bikeshare company to consider bringing their services to campus; however, they were unable to Tuesday night.

President Colton Markey stated in his report that they would be in contact with the bikeshare program at the upcoming meeting. Markey also made the room aware that the SGA Scholarship application will close today, before midnight. He informed the room that due to the high volume of applicants, they will be closing them sooner to have adequate time to review all submissions.

“Each year, the Student Government Association of Western Illinois University sponsors scholarships for deserving, involved and academically gifted students,” the SGA Scholarship application reads. “The SGA scholarship is a $400 monetary award which is given to two students each semester.”

Requirements for the scholarship consist of maintaining a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.8, being in good judicial standing with the University, not being a current member of SGA at Western, having a completed PurplePost application, writing a personal essay and attaching a current resume.

Vice President Daria Levchenko announced that they will be hosting their first Mayor’s Roundtable at City Hall the following day. She said that students would have the opportunity to explore City Hall and understand the functions of it as well as learn more about it from guest speakers. She included that Macomb Mayor Mike Inman is and has been looking forward to the event all year. She continued by adding that you do not have to be involved in SGA to attend as it is open to the general student population.

Levchenko then yielded to the rest of cabinet for their reports. Director of Student Services Araceli Villagomez announced that the Council on Planning and Instruction voted to approve Actuarial Science under the Math major, she also commented that the Council on General Education have been discussing incoming dual credits.

Chief of Staff Rachel Greene stated that she is looking to reach out to department heads to nominate five outstanding students who would be interested in serving on councils and committees across the university spectrum. However, Greene told the Senate that she also needs their help to fill these crucial roles in which student voice is needed and wanted.

Director of Academic Affairs Ryan Homer informed the floor that two new courses have been approved and will be offered soon. CHEM 453 and Forensic Chemistry have been approved and will be offered through the Chemistry department in the near future.

Director of Outreach Alexis Williams-White did not have a report and Student Member to the Board of Trustees and Advisor Michelle Janisz were not in attendance for the meeting. Marshall announced to the floors that her office hours are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Student Organization Center located in the basement of the University Union. She also made it clear that Senators who have yet to turn in a Senate Clerk of Appointment sheet needs to do so by the next meeting.

The Student Government Association is looking for Senators from the Athletic Department, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and Human Services, Corbin Olson, Disability Resource Center, Graduate Studies, Interfraternity Council, Lincoln/Washington/Grote, Panhellenic Council, United Greek Council and Veteran’s Resource Center to be the liaison between the designated constituencies and SGA.

Two bills were up for vote; however, they were unable to be voted on do to lack of quorum. The bills proposed are SGA Bill of Appointment .003 and SGA Bill of Appointment .005 to appoint Savannah Osborne and Jordan Huff to the Council on Student Activities Funds.

“The Council on Student Activity Funds is composed of six students appointed by the Student Government Association and three faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate,” the CSAF Manual reads. “The Organization Finance Officer and the Director of Student Activities sit on the Council as exofficio, non-voting members. The Council meets weekly to discuss any business relating to Student Activity funds. It is the role of the Council to: determine the appropriateness of organizations’ funding requests and approve or deny them, make recommendations to the Student Government Association regarding yearly allocations, supplemental funding and freezing of an organization’s funds, establish goals and policies for the expenditure of Student Activity Funds, research topics of concern to the Council, interpret guidelines and funding decisions should questions arise and establish long-range goals and objectives for student fee allocation.”

No comments were made during Open Forum so the group transitioned into Announcements. Senator of the Women’s Center announced that Masculine Monday take place every Monday at 11:30 a.m. in the Women’s Center. It was also announced that Spooky Cookie decorations would be taking place this Wednesday.

The OSA Programming Senator announced that the University Union Board will be showing Scary Stories in the Sandburg Theatre on Tuesday and Thursday at 7 p.m. UUB will also be hosting Bingo in the Heritage Room on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m.

Philanthropic events announced by several different Senators were Dance Marathons Pancake DInner Nov. 7 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are $5 in advance and $7 at the door. Tickets can be purchased from anyone on the Leadership, Executive or Morale teams. Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority will be hosting their annual Dodgeball Tournament on Nov. 13. Anyone affiliated or not are welcome to participate and can form teams of up to six with a $30 registration fee. Sigma Gamma Rho will be hosting a Winter Clothing Drive for Samaritan Well organization.

The next meeting will be held Tuesday in the Capital Room of the University Union.