NRHH gets ready for annual Dodgeball for Diabetes event

Tea Wheat , Courier Staff

According to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, around 40,000 people are diagnosed each year in the United States with Type 1, or juvenile, Diabetes.

Currently, there is no cure for those with Type 1 Diabetes, though many management options allow for the ability to live a regular daily life. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation works to find more management options and will continue to spearhead research until a cure for Type 1 Diabetes is achieved. Diabetes is something that affects many people, it is likely that everyone reading this knows at least one person affected by this chronic condition. It is important to educate and advocate to help find a cure.

Each year in November, the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) holds its Dodgeball for Diabetes tournament. This event falls in November primarily because November is Diabetes Awareness month. Additionally, World Diabetes Day takes place worldwide on Nov. 14. This day is in place to raise awareness and educate about both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

This year, the National Residence Hall Honorary will have its Dodgeball Tournament on Nov. 7, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The event will take place in the Donald S. Spencer Student Recreation Center in the MAC Gym. To play, all you need is a team of 3 to 6 people. Different from years past, there will not be a registration fee for teams. Instead, teams and attendees are encouraged to donate or raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. The registration form for Dodgeball for Diabetes 2019 can be found on the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) PurplePost page.

In addition to the previously mentioned change of price, another way that the National Residence Hall Honorary has worked to revamp this event is through the new prizes for first, second and third place. The first-place prize will be the team’s choice of bowling and pizza or a movie and small concessions, a paddle and a golden dodgeball. The second-place prize will be a paddle and a golden dodgeball, and the third-place prize will be a golden dodgeball.

Dodgeball for Diabetes is a classic dodgeball tournament that allows participants to be competitive, have fun, be active and enjoy their time with their friends or their organization. National Residence Hall Honorary President, Katlynn Davis, encourages all that are able to come out and support.

“Dodgeball for Diabetes is such a great event, we get to bring together different residence halls and organizations for one night in order to raise money and awareness for juvenile diabetes and have fun while doing it. It’s even free this year so we are hoping to have an amazing turnout,” Davis said.