Thompson Hall hosts Haunted Housing

Tea Wheat, Courier Staff

Haunted Housing is a tradition that has gone on for many years at Western Illinois University. What once was a capstone for Higgins Hall, was taken over by the Resident Assistant Council (RAC) and has been successfully conducted this way for years.

Haunted Housing is a haunted house that takes place on the 18th floor of Thompson Hall. This offers a unique and thrilling experience for all those that attend. Additionally, Haunted Housing is run by students for students, which is in part what makes it so unique. This year, there is a new twist to Haunted Housing.

Haunted Housing Co-Chair, Brooke Barnes spoke about the changes to Haunted Housing.

“This year it is a bit different because it is a competition between all three halls,” Barnes said. “We’re hoping to keep in doing it this way so that the trophy can be passed on and it can become a fun tradition the whole university can look forward to.”

This added competition gives more reason for students to get involved with Haunted Housing. It is also very important to note that when you help create the Haunted House, you can earn service hours for your major, organization or just for fun.

Barnes also named some of the other benefits for participating in Haunted Housing.

“It’s a good way to help raise money, collect food and get the whole community in the spirit of Halloween.” Barnes said.

While the time for building for Haunted Housing has come to an end, they are still welcoming actors. Anyone interested in acting should contact RAC Advisor, Kat Erbes.

As mentioned by Barnes, the proceeds and donations from the Haunted House go to non-profit organizations. All the proceeds will be donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters, which is an organization that works toward helping children build their self-value and their future. This organization works with children and matches each child up with a “Big,” or a mentor for their life. The organization creates lasting relationships that change the lives of children forever.

Additionally, all canned goods collected will go to Western’s Stuff the Bus initiative. Western’s Stuff the Bus works to collect canned good items for Loaves and Fishes Food Pantry, which is location at Macomb’s First Presbyterian Church. Donations for Stuff the Bus will also go to the Western Illinois Regional Council (WIRC) in Macomb, the WIU Food Pantry on campus and the Salvation Army.

This year, Haunted Housing will take place on Oct. 24, 25 and 26 in Thompson Hall. It is $5 to go through the haunted house, and if you bring a nonperishable food item, the price is reduced to $3. On Oct. 24, the hours for Haunted Housing will be from 9 p.m. until 11 p.m., on Oct. 25, 8 p.m. until 11 p.m. and on Oct. 26, 8 p.m. until 11 p.m.

Haunted Housing also offers a family friendly, or “safe,” hour on Oct. 25 from 7 p.m. until 8 p.m. This family friendly hour will be free to those who come through, though donations are still welcome.