Western prepares for Dads’ Day activities this Saturday

Western Illinois University is scheduled to host their annual Dads’ Day celebration starting this Saturday. Western dads, as well as other family members, are invited to the Macomb campus to enjoy a day of activities to keep the whole family entertained and occupied.

This year’s Saturday schedule kicks off with events starting as early as 7 a.m. and running all the way through the end of the Fighting Leathernecks football game against the Illinois State Redbirds. The first event families can attend will be at Chandler Park, located in the town square, where they can shop at the Macomb Farmers Market. Local produce, crafts and other goods will be for sale until 1 p.m.

Dads also have the option to partake in a costume parade, filled with activities for children and even a horse-drawn trolley known as Moon Over Macomb. This event will begin slightly later than the Macomb Farmers Market at 9 a.m. and will conclude around noon.

From 10 a.m. to noon, the Western Illinois Museum located at 201 S. Lafayette Street will be hosting Haunted Museum Tours. The Western Illinois Museum was founded on the mission to nurture the history and culture of the region. People are highly encouraged to attend, since McDonough County is full of ghost stories. During the same time slot, the Veterans Club will be hosting a bags tournament in the Row E Commuter Lot located near the Donald S. Spencer Student Recreation Center. The proceeds from the bags tournament will be donated to the Greater Peoria Honor Flight.

“Greater Peoria Honor Flight recognizes American Veterans for your sacrifices and achievements by having you fly to Washington D.C. to see YOUR Memorial at no cost,” greaterpeoriahonorflight.org reads. “Your day with Greater Peoria Honor Flight will be a long and emotional one, yet very exciting!”

At 10 a.m. in the University Union Heritage Room, there will be a Macomb E-Sports Tournament hosted by the Western Electronic Gaming Association. The tournament will consist of playing Smash Brothers Ultimate and Project Tournament. The entry to the event is $10, plus $5 for additional title.

From noon until 5 p.m., Western’s Horn Field Campus will be having their annual Corn Maze for an admission of $5. The event is family-friendly; therefore, people of all ages are welcome. However, attendees under the age of 16 are required to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Starting at noon, the Women’s Club Volleyball team will be having a tournament in the Student Recreation Center. Shortly following the start of the event, Leatherneck Athletics along with the Fighting Leatherneck football program will hold a Father/Daughter Challenge during halftime of the football game.

Students, families and all Leatherneck fans are welcome to tailgate in Q-Lot as early as four hours prior to the start of the game. It is also noted that all Western students are admitted free to the game with valid student identification. Spectators can also purchase tickets to Saturday’s game at bit.ly/2VmnIZy.

There will also be a special Dads’ Day rate of $25 for 18 holes for dads and $20 for students and siblings at the Harry Mussatto Golf Course located at 1215 Tower Road. To schedule a time to golf, it is recommended to call (309) 298-3676 prior to arrival.

For more information, visit bit.ly/DadsDayWIU.