SGA appoints new student leaders across campus

Western’s Student Government Association consisted of three appointments during new business, following officer and committee reports during Tuesday’s weekly meeting.

The Appointments Committee granted approval for the appointment of Hayden Golemon for the position of member to the Council on Admission, Graduation and Academic Standards by a vote of 5-0-0 during the committee time. When brought back to the floor for discussion, the Senate approved the appointment by a vote of 20-0-0.

“Hayden was actually recommended by the Chair of Faculty Senate Dr. Pynes,” SGA President Colton Markey said. “He is a senior getting his bachelors in foreign language and cultures with an emphasis in Spanish, double minoring in philosophy and political science.”

Markey continued to speak on Golemon’s behalf stating that he has attained a 4.0 grade point average, he serves as the College of Arts and Sciences Student Council of Foreign Languages and Cultures representative and serves as a Student Representative to the College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Council. Goleman also volunteers at the Disability Resource Center and is an Eagle Scout.

The Appointments Committee appointed junior finance major Savannah Osborne to serve on the Council of Student Activities Funds. The Appointments Committee granted approval to the appointment of Osborne for the position of member to the CSAF by a vote of 5-0-0. The Senate then ratified the appointment by a vote of 17-2-1. Chief of Staff Rachel Greene authored the bill in support of Osborne and spoke on her behalf.

“Savannah sent me this to read since she was unable to be here tonight,” Greene said. “The reason she is interested in serving on CSAF is obviously her finance background and she is interested in budgeting.”

Greene went on to discuss that Osborne’s role as Recruitment Director for her sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma, prepared her for working with budgets and analyzing the importance of each item proposed. Greene continued to state that she knows Osborne personally and thinks she would be a good fit, seeing that she is both socially and financially responsible.

Last on the agenda was Presidential Bill of Appointment .004, appointing Araceli Villagomez to the position of Director of Academic Affairs. Villagomez has been vetted thoroughly for the position of Director of Academic Affairs in accordance with the Student Government Association Constitution by a vote of 19-0-1.

“I am a senior double majoring in political science and Spanish,” Villagomez said.

She continued by stating that during the study abroad trip she took to Spain in the Spring 2019 semester, she was able to work with a variety of different professors. She is also involved in the Latin American Student Organization (LASO) and has been involved with Women in Business. She explained to the Senate that she believes she would be able to speak with professors one on one or in bigger crowds as she is one to ask questions and attend office hours regularly.

In officer reports, Markey shared that a bike share program will be a guest speaker next week via Zoom. Vice President Daria Levchenko informed the crowd that the Mayor’s Roundtable scheduled for Oct. 10 was cancelled due to Fall Break. The Roundtable will be rescheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 23, at 7 p.m. in City Hall. The next one will be Thursday, Nov. 14, at 6 p.m. at Gelsosomos Pizzeria where there will be a guest from Macomb Economic Development Corporation to speak.