Western Illinois kicks off Homecoming week

Alumni House prepares to celebrate annual Homecoming festivities

Sara Remar/ Assistant Photo Editor

Sara Remar/ Assistant Photo Editor

Sara Remar/ Assistant Photo Editor

Tea Wheat, Courier Staff

Homecoming week has finally descended upon students and teams at Western Illinois University. The events that so many homecoming teams have worked tirelessly to prepare for, and the week that the Western Leathernecks have been practicing for all season.

All the homecoming events that have made their mark among students and the Macomb community will bring campus to life in the coming week. It will be a celebration of a lifetime, spanning the entire week and leading up to the big game on Saturday.

Prior to this week’s events, Rock the Flag and Paint the Town have already taken place. The winners from Paint the town for Greek Teams are as follows from first to third place: Greek Team 4, Greek Team 3 and Greek Team 5. For the residence halls and other student organizations the winners are as follows: Kappa Pi, Linc/Wash/Grote and COOL.

Due to unfortunate in climate weather over the weekend, many homecoming events had to be rescheduled. That said, homecoming week 2019 will continue Monday with Paint the Paws! Paint the Paws will take place at various locations on campus, as students repaint the golden paw prints that span Western’s campus. Paint the Paws will still take place at 1 p.m. and at 3 p.m., beginning at Western Hall, unless otherwise notified.

The notorious Variety Show will be held on Tuesday. The Variety Show will begin at 6 p.m. in Western Hall and will last until the final act has finished performing and the winners for the night are announced.

Rock’s Boat Regatta and Chalk the Campus will both take place on Wednesday. Rocky’s Boat Regatta will be held at Everly Park at the pond, where teams will race if their boats can hold them. Rocky’s Boat Regatta will take place from 3-5 p.m. Chalk the Campus will take place from 5-7 p.m. at various locations around campus. Homecoming teams will ‘chalk it out’ as they work against each other for the best chalk drawing.

After all the events earlier in the week, it’s time to get up off your feet because Yell Like Hell will take place on Thursday night. Students will cheer to their heart’s content as everyone gets fired up for the big game on Saturday. Yell Like Hell will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Western Hall.

Continuing the spirit for all Western Football fans, the Western Women’s Soccer Game will also take place on Thursday, at 3:00 p.m. at the John Mackenzie Alumni Field. At this game, Western Women’s Soccer will take on Omaha during this homecoming spirit game.

The Homecoming Parade will take place on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m., beginning in the Macomb Square and leading to the Western campus. The Homecoming Parade is always such an exciting way for Western and the community to come together, as many community members attend both the Homecoming Parade and the Football game later that day.

The moment that the whole week is leading up to, the Homecoming Football Game. Western will take on the Missouri State Bears, at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, at Hanson Field.

Also, voting for Homecoming royalty is open now through Wednesday. Make sure to vote for who you feel is a great representation of Western Illinois University.

Western fans, students and alumni – get ready for a week to remember and an even harder act to follow.