Multicultural Center will host women’s activism event

Marc Ramirez, edge editor

The Women’s Center at Western Illinois University will be participating in in the global activist movement, V-Day. V-Day’s purpose is to stop violence against women and girls and raise funds and awareness through benefit productions such as The Vagina Monologues which will take place this Friday, at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. in the Multicultural Center. The Multicultural Center is located on Murray Street across from the University Union and adjacent to Mowbray Hall.

Tickets for the event will be for sale in advance in the Union Concourse from Monday 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. During these times, tickets will be sold at $5 for students and $7 for non-students. Prices will be raised at the door to $7 for students and $10 for non-students. T-shirts can also be purchased during these times at $7 for students and $10 for non-students. If students can’t make it to the Union during these times to purchase a ticket or merchandise, they can visit the Women’s Center from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.

The Vagina Monologues gave birth to V-Day, a global activist movement to end violence against all women and girls (cisgender, transgender, and those who hold fluid identities that are subject to gender based violence),” vday.org reads. “With creativity and determination, V-activists around the world tirelessly work to end harassment, rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation and sex slavery.”

The Vagina Monologues is a award-winning play based on V-Day Founder/playwright Eve Ensler’s interviews with more than 200 women.

“With humor and grace the piece celebrates women’s sexuality and strength,” vday.org reads. “Through this play and the liberation of this one word, countless women throughout the world have taken control of their bodies and their lives. For more than sixteen years,

The Vagina Monologues has given voice to experiences and feelings not previously exposed in public.”

The Women’s Center will be accepting donations such as baby lotion, women’s deodorant, toilet paper, Kleenex, allpurpose cleaner, laundry detergent, pads, shampoo, conditioner and diapers (newborn and size 4-6).

All items collected will go to the Western Illinois Regional Council-Community Action Agency (WIRC-CAA), an agency working with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Closed captioning and dyslexia- readable font are available through all performances. In addition, accessible parking will be available in front of Mowbray Hall. People can also reserve seating near the stage to combat difficulties seeing by contacting Lauren Hoover at le-hoover@wiu.edu.

For more information,visit vday.org or contact the Women’s Center at (309)-298-2242.