Attorney and former Leatherneck publishes novel

Tyler Moseberry, Courier Staff

Like most undergraduate students, Jason Schutte did not have his whole life already written in stone.

Schutte is a native of Payson, Ill. and a graduate student of Western Illinois University, where he was a law enforcement major and a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. He believes that one’s career path and circumstances in their life are constantly changing, which is why he doesn’t believe in planning every step of his life.

After completing his undergraduate program, Schutte decided to pursue law at Southern Illinois University Carbondale law school. There he learned the disciplines to now practice and review things like civil litigation and personal injury, as well as family and domestic relations.

Since passing the needed requirements to practice law in Illinois, he has been providing services mostly in the 217-area code. This area code includes the capital Springfield and borders many of the counties and towns around us like Quincy. His most recent endeavor was in the form of writing in which he published “A Zealous Defense,” which is a legal fiction thriller set in Quincy in 1983. John is an attorney and the protagonist that is tasked with a case so fragile it threatens his entire livelihood.

Being that his latest case has to do with narcotics, it is not surprising that some extra drama could be associated with his personal life or the case itself. John also must make sure that he does not break the law, which adds even more suspense. Schutte sells the book as a chance to be sucked into the world immediately, and it can slip your mind that it is depicted in the 80’s with the realism it displays. All these factors have led to a successful first book for Schutte.

Schutte had a goal of making his novel to be “purely fictional entertainment.” This is no small part from the type of experiences he has had in his life and being able to meet genuine people. Schutte believes after his first books success that he would be willing to make another. His timeline is not definitive due to his busy work schedule, but he is open to the idea, and he left the book open to a sequel. When asked about what has changed about Western, he pointed out some technological differences, like the use of landlines but in all not much. He feels that even though he is removed from college, the experience and people you meet in Western community are still genuine. For those interested, his book is available on Amazon.

“If you never step up to home plate you’ll never hit a homerun,” Schutte says. This is what he hopes all of us can do in our daily lives.