Crafty Coop seeks liquor license

City+Attorney+Kirsten+Petrie+discusses+conditions+of+potential+liquor+license+for+the+Crafty+Coop.+

Crafty Coop seeks liquor license

City Attorney Kirsten Petrie discusses conditions of potential liquor license for the Crafty Coop.

Felicia Selmon/Courier Staff

Felicia Selmon/Courier Staff

Felicia Selmon/Courier Staff

Macomb aldermen met on Monday evening to discuss a water main project, additional financial opportunities and liquor licenses.

City officials are working on an agreement that would allow customers of a Ma- comb business to consume alcohol on site. The “Class Y Patron Supply Alcohol and Liquor License” may soon be awarded to a paint and pottery studio in downtown Macomb, The Crafty Coop.

City Attorney Kristen Petrie talked about the conditions that would come with the liquor license.

“This would be for beer, wine or cider brought by the patron with no more than 35 persons occupying the business at one time,” Petrie said. “That would keep the group at a relatively small and workable size. It can- not just be a social gather- ing, it would only pertain to paint parties and classes or something related to the business.”

Another stipulation of the

license requires all employees at The Crafty Coop to complete training in The Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training (BASSET) program. Once certified, employees would be clear on how to be compliant with the law and how to detect signs of over-intoxication.

Additionally, customers are not allowed to supply everyone in the studio with alcoholic beverages. In- stead, they are only able to share with their group. Per the laws regarding alcohol

in public, beverages leaving the business must be prop- erly sealed. When it comes to the potential dangers of alcohol, Lacie Todd will take the proper precautions.

“I would card everyone to make sure that they are all 21,” the owner of The Crafty Coop said, “and I’ve already looked into the BASSET training.”

Todd also referenced a similar business upstate in Galesburg, Ill., which doesn’t allow employees under 18 years old to pour, serve or clean up alcoholic beverages.

She says she would follow the same rules if Macomb agrees to grant her business the license.

Alderman Gayle Carper asked if the business could be subject to compliance checks, similar to checks that police officers do in bars. Petrie confirmed that the police could check in with the studio since it’s a public place, and that the employees should be aware of the potential consequences.

“I would hope they’d take the appropriate steps to manage the situation if they weren’t complying, it would be their license at risk,” Petrie said.

In the initial draft of the ordinance, the liquor license fee will total $750; however, there appears to be a compromise in the works after Todd made the case on why that amount should be reduced.

“$750 is a little too high for me,” Todd said. “This is my third job, so money is not forthcoming for $750. I

think $500 is more reasonable for me.”

Both Alderman John Vigezzi, who called the business a great opportunity for Macomb, and Alderman- at-large Dennis Moon also believe that the proposed cost is too high.

“Usually, I don’t have a problem charging more for liquor licenses,” Moon says, “but in this case, I suggest we do $500. I think this is really a niche business and this could enhance its chances of being successful.”

When it comes to why she feels a liquor license would benefit her studio, Todd

wants members of the public to feel the artistic vibe in the most relaxing and fun way possible.

“Everyone has been loving the studio and I just wanted to explore this option,” Todd said. “I thought it’d be something the City of Macomb could look into for me because people enjoy having a glass of wine while they’re creating art.”

Petrie will make the proper adjustments to the ordinance proposal, which will be on the agenda for the first reading at next week’s meeting. The Crafty Coop has been open to the public since Oct. 20, 2018.

Elsewhere in Macomb, Public Works Director Scott Coker shared the bids that the city received to complete the water main repair project. After collecting bids from four different companies, the city of Macomb selected “Visu Sewer” at a total of $201,450.

Roughly 75 percent of that amount will repair the storm sewers while the other 25 per- cent will cover the sanitation sewers. The Wisconsin-based company beat out rivaling bids of $219,116, $237,266 and $209,913. Coker says that the department’s inspection of the sewer lines indicated that the project shouldn’t

exceed the bid, although there is always the possibility of an issue leading to additional costs.

Mayor Mike Inman announced that the Macomb community will be a recipient of the community block grant. The economic opportunity is thanks to a state- wide initiative, which will hand out more than $13 mil- lion to 28 different communities in Illinois. Macomb will be receiving $500,000, which they could use to fund the water main project.

“We’re looking forward to putting that to good use,” Inman said.