OPS and MPD gives tips for a safe and happy holiday break

Western Illinois University Office of Public Safety and the Macomb Police Department wanted to remind students of a couple holiday break safety tips to ensure a successful and happy holiday season.

First and foremost, they would like to remind everyone that by locking offices, desks, room doors, vehicles and homes they can guard their personal property regardless of how long they’ll be gone.

People are also encouraged to complete an electronic device registration form, which can be found at bit. ly/2DYPzsd. By recording the make, model and serial number of their belongings, it is made easier to return lost or stolen items to their lawful owners.

People leaving the Macomb area for the holidays are also advised to take these precautions over the break to make sure they have a happy and safe time at home. Take your laptop, television and gaming consoles home over break, they are the most commonly stolen items. It is also suggested that backpacks and other items are not left in plain view in cars or unattended when out.

The Macomb Police Department and the Office of Public Safety also advocate to always lock doors and windows as well as stopping mail when out of town, by doing this, you can make sure that nothing can be stolen from inside or outside of your residence. Another tip would be to leave lights on or put them on a timer, as burglars often bypass a residence that looks occupied.

For items that cannot be taken home, it is advised that people engrave their driver’s license number into these valuables. It makes it harder to sell or pawn off items that have this type of trace on them. Through Macomb Police Department’s Operation ID, people have the chance to check out an engraver to do such. They can visit the department located at 120 S. McArthur St. from 8 a.m. -5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

To request extra patrol in your area; contact OPS at (309)-298-1949 or MPD at (309)-833-4505. In case of emergencies call 9-1-1.