Reed appoints two new Student Government Association members

The Student Government Association ended their last meeting of the Fall 2018 semester with two SGA Presidential Bills of Appointment for the 2018-2019 academic year.

President Grant Reed authored both bills appointing a new Director of Outreach and filling a vacant Senatorat- Large seat. Alexis William- White was chosen to replace current Director of OutreachAmber Shupe. Shupe will not be returning to the organization next semester and with careful consideration, William- White was vetted for the position in accordance with the SGA Constitution. William-White was introduced to the legislative body during last week’s meeting and was officially ratified by the Senate to become the new Director of Outreach by a unanimous vote. The political science major, minoring in marketing and philosophy, thought she would be successful at the job with the views she has for the future.

She hopes to see people become more involved on campus and with the community.

“I want to be that outlet and person people can reach out to when trying to get involved,” William- White said.

OSA Programming Senator Kiki Marshall and Director of Finance  Michael Harmon both spoke in favor of the new Executive Cabinet member, expressing their belief in her and her capability and why she should be a part of SGA.

Following a similar vote, Reed brought up SGA Presidential Bill of Appointment 2018- 2019.007. The bill was to move forward and confirm Jazeline Rodriguez for the vacant position as Senator-at-Large.

Rodriguez is a junior transfer political science major from Chicago. In her time at community college, Rodriguez served in her student government, making her qualified for the position. Reed described her as always smiling, bubbly and talkative; gauging her interest in working with the student body.

As Rodriguez was not in attendance for the meeting, Vice President Madison Lynn spoke in favor for the new Senatorat- Large and stated that she would be a good asset to the room. The room, filling another vacancy in the room, passed this unanimously.

The legislative body was able to conduct work during this meeting because with two Senators no longer having voting rights, quorum was brought down to 13 Senators, which was the amount in the room and the time of roll call.

In addition to the business presented during the meeting, Lynn presented the SGA Student of the Month award to students in good academic and judicial standing, as well as give positive contributions to Western through academics, extracurricular activities and Leatherneck pride. SGA proudly gave out four awards,two for both months of Nov. and Dec.

During final announcements, Speaker of the Senate Aaron Steele reminded the body that The State of the Student Address would be taking place on April 22, 2019 at 3 p.m. in the Sherman Auditorium. Speakers would include the SGA Speaker of the Senate, the Student Trustee and SGA President. The event is mandatory for all members of the Student Government Association.