Managing mental illness is important

Donnetta Shanklin, Courier Staff

Mental illness is something that a lot of people struggle with. Some people are more open about it and other keep it in the dark. Whatever the situation may be, there are a lot of people that encounter one another each day not knowing what they are going down.

There are also so many different forms of mental illness and some are easier to manage than others. I know a lot of my friends have anxiety and struggling with my own battles myself, I know how challenging it can to manage everyday life with anxiety. The thing about anxiety is that people who don’t struggle with it don’t really know what it is like to deal with it on a daily basis. There’s so many different forms of anxiety and different severity levels that even if you struggle with a disorder, it’s hard to understand. Until you walk a mile in their shoes, you don’t know what someone is struggling with. There have been a few people in my class that, when they have to give a presentation they would have a panic attack. A lot of people were saying they were overreacting and that they just need to calm down. It’s very hard for someone to calm down when they’re having a panic attack and not very beneficial when you just say calm down. I’m in he there have been a few people my class that, when they have to give a presentation they would have a panic attack. Panic attacks are something that is very real and people are too insensitive to notice that sometimes. Having the step of this order can really affect your schoolwork. I know some people struggle test anxiety. They can study for a test for hours upon end, but when they get to the test day, it can all go wrong. The anxiety of stress and college doesn’t help either. That’s why tests should not be the only factor for determining one’s grade. This is not the only mental disorder that can mess with one’s academic ability.

Having depression and going through college is one of the most challenging things to do and those who are able to get through it are the true warriors of the world. People that have depression don’t even understand other people with depression. Depression is something that is hard to understand and there are times when you can be happy and sad. It’s hard to function or care about school when you are going through an episode. It’s hard to even find the motivation to get out of bed and attend class. All in all, having depression and attempting college is very hard to do. People who can manage school with a mental disorder are the true champions.