“Thank U, Next” breaks YouTube records

Tea Wheat, Entertainment Writer

If you haven’t heard of AriannaGrande’s new song titled “Thank U, Next,”then there is a high probability you may be living under a rock and just haven’t realized.

This record-breaking song was released on Nov. 3 and since then has been a common area of discussion. Preceding its release date, the song flooded the Internet placing a new record for most plays in a single day by a female artist. “Thank U, Next” is a powerful song about self-love and break-ups; in this anthem Grande pays tribute to her exes such as Pete Davidson, Ricky Alverez and Big Sean. Though, the most talked about ex mentioned in this song is Mac Miller, who passed away earlier this year. Grande states, “Wish I could say thank you to Malcom, cause’ he was an angel.” This song is nonetheless one of the most iconic songs of 2018, and the music video is just as iconic. On Nov. 30, Grande released the music video for “Thank U, Next” and it literally broke the Net. After it’s release, comments flooded in so fast that YouTube was unable to process and post them for a few hours. This music video broke the record for most views within 24 hours on YouTube, having 46 million views in the first 24-hours that it was posted. The “Thank U, Next” music video was builton references to some of the most popular 2000’s movies such as “Mean Girls,” “Bring it On,” “13 Going On 30” and “Legally Blonde.” The video begins with a montage of people bragging about trying to be like Grande, very similar to the montage in “Mean Girls.” From there, the music begins to play as many different parts of these iconic movies are reenacted. The most talked about parts of this video are the “Burn Book” of Grande’s exes and the reenactment of the Santa’s Helpers talent show dance from mean girls, along with the “bend and snap” scene from “Legally Blonde.” In the “Burn-Book” that Grande creates of her exes, Miller is not included. Many feel this is a sign of respect to Miller. The Santa’s Helpers talent show dance is the final scene in the video and its flawless, making most fans feel quite nostalgic. At the end of the scene, Kris Jenner is featured as the cool mom and shouts “Thank You Next” ending the video entirely. Finally, the “bend and snap” scene is wonderfully done and features original actor Jennifer Coolidge, who played the role as Paulette.

“Thank U, Next” has become the song of the season, and has captivated the hearts of nations. “Thank U, Next” has not only been number one on the US charts, but also on multiple countries’ charts. There has been so much talk about going back to the simple times, and Grande takes her fans there with the “Thank U, Next” music video. Both the video and the song are extremely influential, and fans are more than excited for the entire album to come out before the end of the year.