Bring back specials of all Holidays

Evan Williamson, Courier Staff

Growing up in the 90’s I feel like some of us had an advantage that older generations and the current generation don’t have. ”Today” made a blanket statement that said Happy Holidays is used not only to take away from Christmas, but Hanukkah (Chanukah) and Kwanzaa as well. Not only that but every year it seems like we have more Harry Potter and Pixar movies and less of the classic holiday films. I know about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa because of Nickelodeon, “Rugrats” and “Blue Clue’s” both mentioned the other holidays. “Rugrats” had a Chanukah Special (how they spelled it), which happens to be my favorite. They also were probably one of the first shows to have a Kwanzaa special probably the only reason some of us know anything about it.

“Blue’s Clues” had an episode where Steve and Blue were making a quilt; they went to a few of their friends’ houses to deliver presents. The first was given to a friend who was celebrating Christmas, and she explains what Christmas is before giving Steve and Blue a Christmas patch for their quilt. The next friend’s house they go to is celebrating Hanukkah they then explain what Hanukkah is about before giving them a Hanukkah patch for their quilt. The final friend’s house they go to is celebrating Kwanzaa, they explain what it is and give them a Kwanzaa patch for their quilt. This is something that I really appreciate now because I know I am more informed about other cultures and customs, and that is a very good thing to be.

There were a few other shows from the late ’80s to early 2000s that had at least one episode of a show mention the other holidays, but don’t go in depth. This is something that is really missing today, and it is a shame that we are not teaching children about all the holidays including the true meaning of Christmas. I could name multiple shows that this would work in; “Paw Patrol” comes to mind because of the diverse cast. “The Loud House” could also get away with it, but it might be a stretch. Holiday specials don’t have to be canon. I also think “Peppa Pig” would also be a good show to have this happen. Pretty much any show could have a holiday special. I believe this would be a great thing that would bring people closer together at a time we desperately need to be together. It is also just good business. Hallmark has hundreds of Christmas movies that seem like they play year around, why not have a couple for the other holidays they would be just as good (or bad if you don’t like them). It’s very easy to make using the same tropes and everything. Some people might say this is politically correct nonsense but I disagree. I think acknowledging the other two major holidays is a lot better than making a blanket statement. I saw a picture on Facebook and I’m going to paraphrase I don’t understand what the big deal is. If you celebrate Hanukkah tell me Happy Hanukkah. If you celebrate Christmas tell me Merry Christmas. If you celebrate Kwanzaa tell me Joyous Kwanzaa. If you don’t prefer those tell me Happy Holidays. I will not be offended. I will be thankful that you took the time to say something nice to me. So, let’s bring back the Chrismahanukwanzakah specials.