Take time yourself before final

Karolina Orszulak, Courier Staff

With it being almost the end of the semester all I can think about is all the Christmas lights around my town, all the homemade food my mom will be making and the stressless days I will be having without schoolwork. But before I even begin fantasizing over such great things, I am still drowning in three projects, five final exams tests, a project and tons of homework. So with the last few weeks of the semester being the most stressful of them all, what are the best ways to destress? Western is well aware that these few weeks are filled with ice coffees, all-nighters and late library stays, which is why Western is bringing back certified therapy dogs.

The WIU inter-hall council sponsored this event as they hope that this will bring some joy and smiles to students who are overwhelmed with school work. On Wednesday from 2- 4 p.m., Golden Retrievers will be in the Malpass Library in the library’s Garden Lounge, which is located on the second floor. The main purpose for these therapy dogs is to help students take a break from all the hard work and stress they are putting into school and relax. So what is it about cute dogs that make us automatically feel calm? Is it their soft fur, or how cute they are? Personally it may be all those answers. So if you are feeling stressed and want to take a study break, make sure you stop by and say hello to the happiest Golden Retriever dogs during finals week!

Although it may seem like everyone loves dogs, that may not be the case. In some cases, dogs may not cut it for you when destressing. In that case, what do you do? One of my favorite ways to de-stress is catching up on my favorite Netflix shows or binge- watch 2000’s romance movies. The great part about Western is that each dorm offers a handful of new movies that you can rent out right from your dorm. All you need is your school ID card, go to the front desk or your residence hall and rent out any movies that they have on DVD. Movies are a great way to just lie around, eat snacks and hangout with your friends.

If you are one who likes to destress by themselves and clear your mind, a simple thing you can do is just take a nap. No one loves naps more than college students because it is by far the most refreshing thing to do, especially after a long stressful day. In order to be refreshed and ready to study more, taking a nap can prepare you for that. By turning on a candle and making your room smell good, this will help you become more relaxed and will help you fall asleep faster. After a nap you will be up, alert, and ready to keep on studying.

Whatever works best for you to destress do it in order to not overwhelm yourself. Finals week can be a tough week, but you will get through it. Let’s kick finals butt Leathernecks!