Morris named October Advisor of the Month

Kelly Morris (middle), Office of Academic Services Advisor, was awarded the October Advisor of the Month
Award by her students for continuous support.

Devon Greene/ Editor- In- Chief

Kelly Morris (middle), Office of Academic Services Advisor, was awarded the October Advisor of the Month Award by her students for continuous support.

Kelly Morris, Office of Academic Services Statistician and Academic Advisor, was awarded the October Advisor of the Month award.

Morris advises students who are enrolled through the Office of Academic Services. She, alongside the other advisors, guides students who show academic potential but don’t meet regular admission requirements upon applying. “Advisors within the program not only serve as mentors and advocates but also offer students encouragement and join with them in celebrating their many successes,” the philosophy of the Office of Academic Services reads.

Morris attended the University of Northern Iowa where she received her bachelors in elementary education and masters in math education. She went on to begin her teaching career as an elementary teacher in Aurora, Colo.

She did this for a few years before realizing her true place is working in higher education, where she’s been since 1991.

Nominated by multiple students for the award, they all believe this is the place for her.

“[She] builds positive relationships and treats students with sensitivity and fairness,” one student said on the nomination.

She assists students in skills beneficial to creating a successful academic environment such as study skills, time management, test-taking strategies and note taking. By doing this, she is able to put together data on the OAS student and measure their performance at the end of each semester. In doing this, she’s learned to help students navigate their educational careers.

“It is particularly gratifying to walk alongside (and sometimes guide) students as they are experiencing the ‘Aha’ moment,” Morris said. Morris was honored with a certificate and trophy. The award is determined by a committee that considers the winners each month.