Tekashi 6ix9ine facing hard time

Brie Coder, Copy Editor

In any high up industry, there are people who think they can get away with everything they do, and instead find out that they aren’t so invincible. In the music industry, rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine (real name Daniel Hernandez) just happens to be one of those people who is realizing his fate will now be behind bars, possibly forever. Hernandez is currently facing a minimum of 32 years, maximum of a life sentence if convicted after being charged with several federal charges. Some of those charges include racketeering, unreported armed robbery, possession of an AR-15, drug charges stemming from sale (heroin, fentanyl, MDMA and marijuana) and involvement in two additional shootings. According to Assistant US Attorney, Michael Longyear, Hernandez was involved with Nine Trey Bloods, a violent sect of the Bloods. It was only a matter of time before the rapper’s criminal acts were going to catch up to him.

Hernandez’s attorney, Lance Lazzaro, strongly begged the court to instead give Hernandez bail under the condition that he surrendered his passport, paid over $1 million and be placed under house arrest. The judge however denied bail, and cited that the rapper may still be a danger to the community even if those bail conditions were met.

After last Sunday’s arrest and hearing on that Monday, Lazzaro made a statement online that Rolling Stone published saying that his client is innocent and being wrongfully convicted only because of the music he creates and the image he has to have to succeed in the rap industry. “Hernandez is completely innocent of all charges being brought against him. An entertainer who portrays a ‘gangster image’ to promote his music does not make him a member of an enterprise,” Lazzaro wrote on his social media account.

This arrest was not something that was out of the blue. Instead, this arrest came from a violation of his probation back in October, for his ongoing case of the use of a minor in a sexual performance. The judge in that case sentenced Hernandez to a four-year probation if he followed two orders: not get arrested during his time that his probation was set for and to not associate himself with any gang members. Hernandez began his rapping career in 2014 when he released several tracks and music videos such as “Scumlife,” “Yokai” and “Hellsing Station.” He became an Internet sensation because of his rainbow-dyed hair and rainbow-painted grills. In April of 2017, “Poles1469” was released, which raised the bar for his music career and was one of the first of his songs to receive significant views from YouTube. On Nov. 10, 2017, “Gummo” was released and eventually peaked at the No.12 spot on the US Billboard Hot 100.

The saddest part about this whole thing is that Hernandez will not be a part of his daughter’s life who is only five years old. There will be more to come out in the next couple of weeks about this case and where the 22-year-old stands in the court system.