Griffins and Gargoyles Review

Tea Wheat, Entertainment Writer

As mentioned in my article from last week, the new game “Griffins and Gargoyles” on “Riverdale” is deserving of its own article entirely, so here it is. “Griffins and Gargoyles” is a fantasy role playing game. This game consists of one player who is seemingly in control of how the game plays out. Then there are other players, all who chose a character which can be a variety of mythical creatures such as an enchanter or a siren. The game incorporates a manual, a map, a game board and many dice. If this is starting to sound familiar, that’s because it is. “Riverdale’s” “Griffins and Gargoyles” is based on the real-world game of “Dungeons and Dragons.”

These two games, while similar, have their differences. To begin, “Griffins and Gargoyles” is much more interactive, as it begins as a board game and slowly drags its players into the deepest depths of the unknown. “Griffins and Gargoyles” is also an extremely dangerous game, as two players in current day Riverdale have already lost their lives due to this game, and it’s sure that there will be more to follow.

The most significant difference between “Griffins and Gargoyles” and “Dungeons and Dragons” is that “Griffins and Gargoyles” has a secret participant player call the Gargoyle King. The Gargoyle King has appeared in many scenes throughout the third season of “Riverdale,” appearing as a being made of sticks, cloth and an animal skull, a sight that may haunt viewers. It is this Gargoyle King that seems to set up many of the “Griffins and Gargoyles” rituals, an example would be the two chalices that would appear one poisoned and one not, for the players to drink from to determine their fate. In addition, the Gargoyle king left notes in the players lockers even when they were not playing the game. Some fans believe that the Gargoyle King is a player who has reached the “highest” level, others believe it is some form of magical creature or deity. Either way, the Gargoyle King is not someone that you want to upset. While “Griffins and Gargoyles” and “Dungeons and Dragons” are similar, it is important that I emphasize that they are not the same by any means, they have a handful of differences. “Dungeons and Dragons” is in no way dangerous, does not subject its players to life or death decisions, and does not have a strange and murderous “king.” Real world “Dungeons and Dragons” is a fun role-playing fantasy game that does not branch out into the real life of players and is completely safe. So, if there is one thing that you take away from this article, it should be that “Dungeons and Dragons” is a fun and safe game to play with friends, and “Griffins and Gargoyles” is a fictional more dangerous version of the game that only exists in the universe where “Riverdale” takes place.