Netflix presents chilling version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Evan Williamson, Courier Staff

In 2017 it was announced that “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” was being remade for Netflix. But we would soon realize this was not the Sabrina we all know and love.

The new show is based on a comic series called “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.” Some religious people didn’t want their kids watching the 90’s show.

This new comic and eventual series is everything that they feared the original series would be. The show is very dark and evil. This is a warning that it’s not a kid show, this is not the Sabrina from our childhoods. Now, I don’t want to harp on this too much, because this is a fictional show for entertainment. There is a lot of occult and Satanism, there has even been talk about the Church of Satan filing a lawsuit against them. Pretty much all that you would be afraid of in regard to this: orgies, sacrifices and worshiping Satan. It’s bad, and on top of that, Salem doesn’t talk in this version. Just watching the previews, reading and seeing the premise it’s sad, like what are they doing to our “Sabreeny?” The aunts are also not their loveable selves; it’s just too much. But enough about the new series (which you can watch on Netflix if you feel bold), it’s the original that you should be watching.

It’s a happier show with its fair share of comedy and drama, with Sabrina, Harvey, Hilda, Zelda and of course everyone’s spirit animal Salem. Nowadays it is nostalgia that makes this show popular, but back then when it was part of the TGIF lineup on CBS, it was the show to watch. The character that makes the show is Salem. Salem is interesting to watch now because when you were younger, you may not have realized how much went into that character. It is fun to see when Salem is being played by one of seven live cats and then see where they use the puppet or animatronic and even just a stuffed cat for some scenes. I think it is adorable when they voiceover the real-life cats.

In one-episode, Sabrina needs help to solve a train murder mystery. There is a scene where a live cat is dressed like Sherlock Holmes and is crawling over the “dead body”. While this is happening, Salem says, “this body is simply rife with clues.” Salem alone makes this show 10 times better than the new one. The characters and the lessons they shared throughout the series are definitely worth a watch. It is a funny show with pop culture references that will make you remember the good old days. The older version is one you can enjoy with the whole family. The witchcraft, though important, is done in a less shady way. In the words of Salem, “I want my old Sabrina back. The one who used to make me feel safe and loved.” Luckily you can relive the better “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” on Hulu and Amazon Prime.