Clow to replace Neumann as Interim Provost

William T. (Billy) Clow, previous dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communication,was named the interim provost of Western Illinois University beginning Jan. 1, 2019.

Clow will be replacing current interim provost Kathleen Neumann, who was given the position May 20, 2015 by President Jack Thomas. Neumann is steppingdown in order to work on special projects.

“I am grateful to the service Dr. Neumann has provided to the University over theyears,” Thomas said. “She stepped in as interim provost during a most challenging time for public higher education, and worked tirelessly to ensure that academic affairscontinued to move forward.” Neumann began her journey at Western in 1995 as an assistant professor in computer science. She attained full professor status in August of 2004. In December of 2000, she became the chair of the computer science department, which would later become the School of Computer Sciences in the fall of 2010.Neumann has served as the dean of the College of Business and Technology as well as an interim dean and associate provost before taking on her role as provost. She was experienced in budgeting, unit planning and personnel management, summer school, coordinating facilities for academic affairs and served as a liaison to the local chapter of University Professionals of Illinois though her role as associate provost.

Neumann’s successor Clow has been a part of the Leatherneck Country since July 1, 2012, when he was named dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communication.

Clow has previously served as chair of the theatre arts and professor at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse from 1999 to 2007. He has also served as the interim associate dean of the College of Liberal Studies, director of the School of Arts and Communication, dean and professor at the University of Montevallo.

Clow has professionally published and has received numerous theatrical honors including lighting design awards and certificates of merit from the Kennedy Center/ACT. He has also served as a scenic and lighting designer for several plays throughout the United States. He is a member of The Council of Colleges Arts and Sciences and the International Council of Fine Arts Deans. Clow received his MFA from Illinois State University in 1989 and his bachelor’s degree from the University of Missouri in 1985.