Western takes precautions for Nov. 17 protest

Dear University Community,

A Kansas-based organization has notied the University that its members will stage a public demonstration at our Nov. 17 football game. Western Illinois University does not condone the views or speech by this group, or similar organizations. Their beliefs do not align with our institution’s core values, nor do we support their rhetoric. This organization typically will document such demonstrations via video and photography. Let us show the world that Western Illinois University is committed to equity, civility, inclusion, diversity, and mutual respect, as well as peace. Let us practice the exact opposite of this organization’s message. At Western, we value and support our LGBTQIA+ community, and an inclusive environment for all members of the University community.

Despite our vehement disagreement with this organization’s opinions, Western Illinois University upholds the U.S. Constitution and acknowledges the rights of speech, expression, and religion aorded to all citizens. Public safety socials will take appropriate measures to ensure that our University community and members of the organization can safely express their views.We must work together to encourage a respectful, civil, supportive, and peaceful community.

Sincerely, Jack Thomas

President