Leathernecks end season on a high

Bruce Corrie watches on from the goal line during practice.

Haley Richards, Sports Editor

MACOMB, Ill. — The Western Illinois University men’s soccer team ended their season on a high defeating the Purdue University-Fort Wayne Mastadons 5-1. This will close the year with an overall record of 4-10-3.

The Leathernecks said goodbye to eight of their seniors. These seniors were: goalkeeper Bruce Corrie, defenders Jamison Kozar, Orsy Gonzales, Angelo Amato, Jacob Bjornsen, midfielder Daniel Kadima and forwards Feli Keti and Drew Whalen.

“I’m really pleased with the team today and it was long overdue,” Director of Soccer, Eric Johnson, said in a quote from GoLeathernecks. “We started off on our front foot with an early goal and never looked back. Our seniors really led the way today. What a fitting way to end the season on a positive note.”

In this game, Whalen had two goals and Kadima had one goal. Sophomore forward Michael Howell had one goal, and freshman midfielder Jonah Dancer had one as well. The goals started early in the game, when Howell finished the ball off of a cross from sophomore midfielder Paul Kirdorf.

Six minutes later was when Dancer got his goal after shooting a rocket into the bottom left corner of the goal. Whalen saw his first goal of the season in the 37th minute, giving them a 3-0 lead going into halftime.

The goals didn’t stop there, just two minutes into the second half, Whalen got his second goal. A free kick outside of the box gave Whalen the perfect opportunity to find the back of the net once more.

A minute later, the Mastodons got their first and only goal of the game after receiving a penalty kick. The Purple and Gold sealed the win with one last goal from Kadima in the 68th minute.

Following this season closer, Whalen received one last Summit League accolade. He was named ‘Offensive Player of the Week’ after his performance on Saturday. The League announced this on Monday and would be the last award Whalen would win as a Leatherneck. This was his fourth Summit League accolade in his career.

In an interview with GoLeathernecks.com, Johnson had some very kind words about Whalen.

“Fantastic performance for Drew in his final game,” Johnson said. “He has dealt with a lot in terms of season-ending injuries and to see him play in our last two games despite the pain was awesome for him, his family and his teammates. Then to top it off with two goals on our home field to help us win our last game makes it a sweet ending.”

Unfortunately, the Purple and Gold will not compete in any post-season competitions. Only the top four teams compete in the conference tournament, and the Leathernecks nearly missed the cut, with a fifth place rank in the Summit League.

Twitter: hayfourr