How the Warriors ruined the NBA

Klay Thompson shoots over a Wizards defender.

Flickr.com

Devon Greene, Editor-in-chief

I’ve loved the NBA for as long as I can remember. I’ve been watching it since I was a kid, but something has drastically changed my attitude towards the NBA this year. The Golden State Warriors have made me fall out of love with the NBA.

I still care about the NBA and I will still follow my favorite players, but I’ve already noticed that I’ve watched the least amount of basketball than I ever have this season. I was a loyal League Pass customer because I wanted to watch as many games as I could, but this season is so much different that any season in recent memory.

I’ll go back to the first time that I remember when people complained about a super team. It was July 8, 2010, when the best player in the NBA, LeBron James, held a press conference on ESPN to announce his decision on free agency. When he announced that he was taking his talents to South Beach, NBA fans erupted with rage. He was seen as weak for going to play with two other all-stars in Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.

The Miami “super team” was anything but. Key players in their rotation were Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthony and Mike Bibby. Do you know who those players are? Probably not, and I wouldn’t have either if I wasn’t a fan of the team. If you went up to a causal NBA fan and pointed to some random tall guy on the street and said that it was any one of those players, I’m 1,000 percent positive they would believe you.

The Warriors on the other hand, have five future hall of famers in their starting line-up. It’s absolutely disgusting. I wanted to punch myself in the head when Kevin Durant announced that he was joining the already stacked Golden State roster. So when DeMarcus Cousins announced he was joining the Warriors this offseason, I just about threw my phone out the window. Cousins is the best center in the NBA and has absolutely no business joining a team that just swept the greatest player of all time in the finals. I was in such disbelief that I had to go check Cousins’ Twitter after the announcement. After seeing that his direct messages were open, I sent a few messages to him pleading him to rethink his decision. I sent him a link to the song “Fight the Power” by Public Enemy to give him some motivation. Shockingly, my attempt to save the NBA fell flat and I never got a reply from the big man.

Golden State are the heavy favorites for the NBA title this season and we have no reason to believe otherwise. On any given night Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Durant or Cousins (when he returns from injury) can put up an easy 50 points on any team in the league.

I am an avid NBA 2k player and I wouldn’t even construct this team if I had the power, because my conscience wouldn’t be able to handle the guilt for the rest of the league. Yet, the Warriors seem to be having a wonderful time in the Bay. All smiles and fun for them while the fans and other players are curled up in the fetal position praying for some way to take them down.

This is the worst thing that has happened to the league in my lifetime. I remember when I was about 8 years old, I went over to one of my mom’s friend’s house and her kids and I decided that we were grown up enough to watch “Freddy vs. Jason.” We were wrong. We watched the movie, and when it was time for bed, I was petrified. As I laid down, every noise felt like it could be Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees on their way to come get me. I eventually fell asleep and I never watched that movie again until this year. I realize now, that it’s not that scary of a movie and it’s actually bad, but still fun. However, it still scares me because I can’t get the memory out of my mind. In the movie, Voorhees and Krueger end up fighting each other but the Golden State situation is a bit different.

This would be like if Voorhees and Krueger decided to be friends and then contacted Michael Myers, Leatherface and Pinhead to join up in a movie and wreak havoc on humankind. There’s no escaping this nightmare. I don’t know what to do about the Warriors but pray that there is some in-fighting that leads to a trade or one of them leaving in free agency. I need the NBA I love back.