New drug Dsuvia, may cause problems for addicts

Jason Adams, Courier Staff

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 115 people die each day from an opioid overdose in the U.S. That’s almost 42,000 people a year dying from an opioid overdose.

Many politicians and health professionals have stated there is an opioid crisis in America as people have relatively easy access to opioids and become too easily hooked. While most warnings about overdoses focus on illegal drugs such as meth and heroin, those two combined killed 26,000 Americans in 2017. Those substances are illegal, yet opioids can be obtained with a prescription. Opioids are the most commonly abused prescription drug due to their addictive qualities which leads to them trying to find ways to get more once their prescription runs out or moving onto other substances such as heroin. Common opioids are morphine and fentanyl which are both very powerful and effective painkillers, but apparently not effective enough.

Last weekend, the FDA approved a new opioid called Dsuvia as a fast acting painkiller to be used in hospitals. The drug is 1,000 times stronger than Morphine and 10 times stronger than Fentanyl. Both drugs that are known for being insanely strong and very potent. Many of the opioid overdose warnings have been about Fentanyl, as deaths due to Fentanyl use including Mac Miller’s recent passing have become more common. If we have something as strong as Fentanyl already, why do we need something stronger? The drug will only be used in health care settings such as emergency rooms or hospitals according to the release. The concern is that Morphine and Fentanyl also started out the same way. Drugs of this potency are never meant to be released to the public or be administered by anyone except a health professional. The problem is that people get addicted and if there is a will there is a way. People with addiction will do whatever it takes to get that substance, especially when the substance alleviates pain. Dsuvia will obviously be used and advertised as a drug only used in hospitals but sooner or later someone will find a way to move it from that setting and into the general public. The question becomes how long will that take, and how long until we see the first overdose. Numerous people have already overdosed on Fentanyl which is a tenth of the strength. We could potentially see overdoses on Dsuvia at even faster rates as users may not realize just how strong the drug is and don’t have medical training to know how much they should take. Introducing this drug with the current state of opioids is just begging for a disaster to happen. You’ll either have users move from Morphine or Fentanyl to Dsuvia or we’ll see patients given Dsuvia in a hospital setting feel like they need it once they leave. A drug as strong as that can’t have negative backlash or side effects. The amount of pain that can take away is immensive, and some users will not be able to give that up.