Student Government Association celebrates Election Day

Felicia Selmon/ Courier Staff
Jacob Livingston talks to the Senate about applying for Western Leader applications and Grant Reed gives report about getting involved during Tuesday's meeting.

On Tuesday’s Student Government Association meeting, it started off with guest speaker Jacob Livingston. Livingston serves as an Assistant Complex Director of the Corbin-Olson residence hall, who joined Tuesday’s meeting to let the student body know that Western Leader applications are now out and open.

“We have nine positions for student leaders here at Western,” Livingston said. “Those being Admission Ambassadors, Housing Ambassadors, Desk Assistants, Orientation Leaders, Resident Assistants, University Conduct Board members, Turning Point Peer Mentors, University 100 Peer Mentors and Summer Assistants.”

Livingston went on to explain that the applications opened on Nov. 1 and are hiring the staff for the 2019-2020 academic year. The application will close on Jan. 28, 2019, and interview processes for selection of the positions will take place on Feb. 8. Senators were urged to not only apply, but to share the opportunity with their constituents.

The legislative body then went into cabinet reports starting with President, Grant Reed, who began by thanking Attorney General, Kelly Rodgers, for using her graphic designing skills and creating thank you cards for students to write to their state Senator Representatives back home or at school during the Election Watch Party, held in the Multicultural Center immediately following the meeting. He then proceeded to survey the crowd and make sure everyone in the room completed their civic duty by voting in Tuesday’s election.

Reed then made it clear once more that the Talent Grant and Tuition Waiver Committee is in need of students. The meetings would be scheduled around the individuals’ availability. If interested it is recommended that they get in contact with Reed.

Speaker Aaron Steele then yielded to Vice President, Madison Lynn, for the remainder of the cabinet reports. Lynn yielded to Rodger’s who had no report. Colton Markey, Director of Academic Affairs, reported that Interim Provost, Kathleen Neumann, will be stepping down from the position on Dec. 31, 2018. Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Communication, Billy Clow, will replace Neumann.

Student to the Board of Trustees, Justin Brown, followed by adding that Board of Trustee member, Cathy Early, also stepped down from her position with the University.

On the business agenda, both SGA Bill of Appropriation 2018/2019.005 and 2018/2019.006 were approved by the Finance and Special Projects Committee by a vote of 4-0-0. Director of Finance noted a change in the second bill making the total allocated funds under the amount of $100, not requiring it to be passed by the Senate just the committee passing it. The bill was in regards to allocating money to print new handbooks.

SGA Bill of Appropriation 2018/2019.005 was in regards to allocating funds made from the Superhero Blue Light Fun Run/ Walk to the WIRC-Victims Services. The Senate passed this bill unanimously, giving $590 to WIRC produced from registration fees and donation, none of which CSAF appropriated to SGA.