Norine Hammond retains Representative seat

Chance Darby, Proofreader

Once again Norine Hammond managed to keep her position as the District Representative of District 93.

“I was one of six individuals to be interviewed to replace Representative Richard Myers and was ultimately chosen and felt it was a mission that I wanted to continue,” Hammond said in a previous interview.

She has for sure held tight onto that mission as this will be her eighth year in a row winning District Representative. Hammond is very invested in continuing the growth of higher education and keeping students in Illinois. In August, Hammond cosponsored a legislation that would keep Illinois students in Illinois and bring in new students. One of the ways of doing that is with the AIM HIGH grant program, and the other being a four year Monetary Award Program also known as M.A.P. Both of these provides grants, which do not need to be repaid, for Illinois residents who attend approved public Illinois colleges and demonstrate the information provided on FASFA.

In September, Hammond signed on as Co-Sponsor of House Resolution 766, a resolution that voices opposition to taxing Illinois drivers per mile traveled. Illinois residents currently pay over 34 cents per gallon in state and federal taxes for gasoline. This House Resolution opposes raising that price by a 1.5 cent per mile tax.