Western celebrates International Education Week

Western Illinois University will be holding cultural and informative events to celebrate International Education Week.

An Indoor World Cup Soccer Tournament today and Saturday will kick off the week of events. Participants had to form teams of five to eight players and sign up by Oct. 30. Medallions will be given to tournament winners. A “Taste of India Scholarship Dinner” will be held at 6 p.m. in the Campus Students for Christ House at 1545 Riverview Drive. Tickets are sold in Memorial Hall 347 and proceeds international education scholarships.

Monday, Nov. 5, the Heritage Room in the University Union will host a Switzerland- focused cultural café from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 6, an international café hour will focus on Mexicoin Horrabin Hall 1 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Both events will offer authentic food to sample and an opportunity to learn more about different cultures.

Wednesday, Nov. 7, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., students can apply for a passport at a table in the Union Concourse. Those looking to apply should bring a copy of their birth certificate and a photocopy of their Illinois driver’s license. Passports will be approved for $50 via cash or check. Applicants may alsoenter a drawing to have their passport paid for.

Later on Wednesday, the University Union Fox Room will hold a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) Panel from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. The panel will give the audience a chance to learn more about teaching opportunities abroad. Thursday, Nov. 8, the auditorium on the third floor of Sherman Hall will offer an Acirema Cultural Stimulation. The event will take place at 5 p.m. and will offer information about international studies.

Friday, Nov. 9, Horrabin Hall will gather faces from all around the world for an International Game Night from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Players can use the game night for their enjoyment and to meet new people with strong cultural backgrounds.

Sunday, Nov. 11, a five-hour event in the Grand Ballroom will highlight food, performances and tattoos. From 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Grand Ballroom will hold this event titled “Diwali Night” on the first floor of the Multicultural Center.

Monday, Nov. 12, members of the Phi Beta Delta International Honor Society  will be recognized in an induction ceremony. The process will take place at 5 p.m. in Knoblauch 239.

Tuesday, Nov. 13, the Multicultural Center will play the film “Bad Ass Beauty Queen” at 6 p.m. The film is a documentary that stars a woman who embraces the idea of putting her inner beauty and confidence over physical looks.

Wednesday, Nov. 14, students will have an opportunity to learn or build on their foreign language skills. “French Conversation Hour” will take place from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in room 303 of Morgan Hall. Later on Wednesday, the University Union Fox Room will host a Peace Corps Application Workshop from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Those who attend will learn more about how to apply for the Peace Corps.

International Education Week is designed to celebrate the progress made in international education around the world. The U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Departmentof Education started the initiative, which encourages all students to participate and improve their cultural knowledge.