Western unveils new ‘MyWestern’ app

Western Illinois University Center of Innovation in Teaching and Research graduate assistants Harish Jujjavarapu and Balakrishna Uppathi launched a new app called “MyWestern.”

Under the direction of CITR Director Roger Runquist, they graduate assistants were able to make an app after about six months of development. After discussion and feedback following the Spring 2018 President’s Round Table, the student’s decided to create an easier to use app for everyone.

“We know students have been asking for a one-stop-shop app that would give them almost any bit of information they wanted about, and at, Western,” Runquist said in an interview with University Relations. “We designed this app to help students quickly locate these resources.”

The app consists of 12 tabs including: social media, help me, academics, health, my schedule, money, a better me, links, things to do, civic engagement, miscellaneous and grade calculator. The app can be used as an everyday resource to check ones class schedule, check the bus schedule and attain any other resources you’d need.

Information on the app is attained after a student logs in with their ECOM username and password. It then syncs to their student information, which is how it can attain one’s specific schedule, links to email course professors, tutoring opportunities for the course load and even financial aid information. However, this feature does not appear when faculty and staff log in.

“We tried to connect the dots with some latest technologies like Ionic 3 and Angular 5 to create ‘MyWestern,’” Runquist said in an interview with University Relations. “We can write and deploy the same code for iOS, Android, Windows mobiles simultaneously through hybrid app development. We are already working on a new version of the app to customize the student experience even further.”

The link doesn’t only provide academic and legal resources, but they also provide resources that can benefit students’ social and personal lives. Under the “Things to Do” tab, students can find lists of organizations to join to get involved in campus, lists of events happening and even a website that leads you to makeitmacomb. com. Make It Macomb provides visitors and students lists of places to eat, educate, gather, play, shop, stay, and relax. In addition, they provide historic, scenic and local information for anyone interested.