Soccer drops down the Summit standings

Bradley Piros, Assistant Sports Editor

DENVER — The Western Illinois University men’s soccer team traveled west to take on the University of Denver Pioneers in a Summit League matchup. They dropped the match 4-0 under the lights in a chilly night game.

This brings Western’s record down to 2-9-3 overall and 0-3-1 in conference play. Denver, ranked 12th in the nation, shut Western down to only five shots total, none of them on net.

Denver went right on the attack in the second minute of the game winning themselves a corner kick and an open header opportunity. They almost scored off this attempt, but the header bounced back of the crossbar.

Denver kept on the front foot though; in the 12th minute they would break the deadlock. The goal came from a through ball and was finished from about 20 yards out from Moshe Perez.

Western tried to bounce back, winning a corner of their own and the second of the game. After the kick, the ball fell to the feet of senior midfielder Daniel Kadima. His shot eventually went wide of the net.

The game went back and forth, with multiple fouls and a couple more corner kicks apiece, but it wasn’t until the 42nd minute until the Pioneers doubled their lead. The goal came from Andre Shinyashiki for his 22nd of the season. The ball was played towards the top of the 18-yard box and was finished by Shinyashiki into the side netting.

There were a couple more fouls to finish out the half, but it finished 2-0 in favor of the Pioneers.

Denver put another on the board only 10 minutes later, assisted by Shinyashiki and put away by Stefan DeLeone for his third of the season. The goal came from another through ball.

The Pioneers weren’t done yet though. Only six minutes later this time Kenny Akamatsu put in Denver’s fourth and final goal.

The Leathernecks at this point were clearly rattled, so head coach Eric Johnson decided to make four substitutions to change things up. In the end these substitutions didn’t make that big of a difference but were still able to shutout Denver for the remaining 30 minutes of the game.

Western was outshot 15-5 overall and 7-0 on the net. Junior goalkeeper Tim Trilk recorded three saves. There were plenty of fouls to go around as well, 14 for Western and 16 for Denver.

This game was the first on a three-game road trip for the Leathernecks. Next up for Western is the University of Detroit Mercy Titans Monday afternoon. After that, they will take on rivals Bradley University before finishing their season at home on Nov. 3 against the Indiana University Purdue University-Fort Wayne.

Twitter: bradjp08