Oster looks for re-election to County Board

Digger Oster, Director of Insurance, Risk Management and Compliance looks
for re-election to the County Board for District One.

Digger Oster, Director of Insurance, Risk Management and Compliance looks for re-election to the County Board for District One.

Flickr.com

Flickr.com

Chance Darby, Courier Staff

Western Illinois University Instructor, Alumni, Director of Insurance, Risk Management, and Compliance, Digger Oster is looking for re-election for County Board on Tuesday, Nov. 6.

The McDonough County Board consists of 21 members currently, which are elected from three County Board Districts in McDonough County. Oster currently is a member of the County Board District 1 and would love the chance to continue this amazing opportunity.

Oster was born and raised in McDonough County, Met his wife Sarah here, and is currently raising his three children: Gaven, Levi and Lily here.

“I am seeking re-election for the County Board because I care about the county’s success and the people who live here,” Oster said via email. “I grew up here, met my wife here and am raising my three children here. Simply put, this is a great opportunity to give back to the community for all of the great things it’s done for me.”

Oster brings several unique skills to the table when it comes to running for the position.

“I have several years of administrative experience, including creating budgets, drafting and implementing policy, managing personnel and serving as an advocate for various groups. I am currently the youngest member of the board. This allows me to bring a completely different perspective and voice to the table.” Oster said.

Being the Director of Insurance, Risk Management, and Compliance while also being an Instructor gives him interactions with a diverse group of individuals, across campus, which provides a foundation for the understanding of individual needs.

The County Board meets the third Wednesday of every month unless announced at the meeting prior that it is changing. Next meeting will be held on Wednesday, at the County Courthouse. The meetings are also open for the general public.

The business of the County Board is conducted through the committee system. The Committee systems are smaller subdivisions inside of the County Board, so people can concentrate on specific area and develop specialized knowledge of that area. Oster serves are the Vice-Chairman of HR and Planning and serves as a member of Elms Building and Grounds committee.

There are six standing committees for the oversight and budgetary control over their assigned areas, committees report their activities and requests for action to the full County Board on a monthly basis. The committees are Law and Legal who oversees the use of County resources in the following areas: the Sheriff’s Department, Supervisor of Assessments and GIS, Veterans Assistance Commission, Landfill/Tri- County Waste Management and other environmental issues. Other legal matters needing a committee hearing are also brought forth to them.

The Road and Bridges committee oversees the McDonough County Highway Department’s resources. They can also oversee items referred from other Committees as assigned by County Board Chairman. HR and Planning is responsible for overseeing the use of County resources in the following areas: Personnel Policy and Personnel Issues, Safety Committee, Animal Shelter and Animal Control Officer. They are the committee that handles new Board Member orientations.

This is also where Oster serves as the Vice-Chairman along side the Chairman Dixon. The finance committee oversees the use of County resources in the following areas: County budget and financial resources as well as the use of County resources by the Coroner, YMCA Senior Meals, and McDonough County Public Transportation. They also serve on the Insurance Committee and, if needed, as an Executive Committee of the County Board.

SDA and Claims oversees the use of the County resources for Emergency services and disaster assistance. The final committee is Elms/Building and Grounds, which is where Oster serves as a member. This committee oversees the use of County resources in the following areas: the County Maintenance Department; maintenance of the following facilities: County Courthouse, Elms Nursing Home, County Highway Building, County West Building; repairs and changes recommended by the Safety Committee.

“Anyone who is interested in running for public office should visit the Courthouse,” Oster said. “They will fully explain the petition/signature requirements, deadlines and processes. I would also encourage anyone who is interested to simply get involved. Some may be interested in serving as a county board member while others may be interested in serving on a different community board or committee. There are plenty of opportunitiesto serve. Western students make up a significant portion of the county’s population. This population is also quite diverse which iswhy it is important for this very significant group to be represented well.”