Cross-country to compete in Bradley Pink Classic

Lucas Lingle headed back toward Hanson Field to end his run.

Becca Langys/ Photo Editor

Becca Langys/ Photo Editor

Brie Coder, Copy Editor

PEORIA, Ill. — The Western Illinois University men and women’s cross country teams are just two weeks away from competing in one of the biggest events for them this semester, the Summit League Championships in Omaha, NE. But first they must keep their mindset focused on this friday’s event at the Bradley Pink Classic.

This will be the third time that both Bradley University Braves and Western have competed in the same event. The first time was at the WIU Early Bird back in August and the second time was at the Bradley Intercollegiate on Sept. 14.

At the WIU Early Bird, the hometown heroes, Western, came out with an overall first place finish for the women’s team, and a third place finish for the men with 11 points. Bradley also impressed themselves with their teams’ standings at this event. The women of Bradley came in second and the men came in first.

Just like Western, the Braves swooped up high end victories on their home turf (Bradley Intercollegiate) with a perfect 16 overall score for the men, out beating their rivals Northern Iowa (67 points) and Valparaiso (72 points). On the women’s side, Bradley scored 30 points, which placed them in second. They were neck and neck with Northern Iowa (28 points) and prevailed Western, who had 101 points and a third place finish.

The last event Western’s cross country teams competed in, was the Minnesota Roy Griak Invite in Minneapolis on Sept. 29. Junior Nicole Beebe led the Leatherneck women with a personal record in the 6,000- meter run, by being the first woman of the Purple and Gold to cross the finish line, and to come in at a personal-best time of 22:56.9.

Following behind in the 6,000-meter run was junior Abigail Richter, who finished the event in 80th at 23:22.8. The last to finish in the top-110 mark was sophomore Hailey Tranchitella. She came in at 24:03.7 with a 108th place mark.

In addition to Beebe’s accomplishment, senior Lucas Lingle also finished first for the Leatherneck men in the 8,000-meter run. Lingle registered an 87th place with a time of 26:34.4.

Next to Lingle was junior Ross Smetzer (27:39.6), in 126th and freshman Lucas Howett, who (28:03.4) finished the top ranks in this event with 134th.

The Leatherneck teams worked diligently to come out with 379 points and 13th place (women’s) and 457 points and a 15th place finish (men’s).

The Braves have quite the roster just like Western. Their last event was on Sept. 28, at the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational in Madison.

In that competition, we saw the men finish the event 30th out of 34, and the women placed 27 out of 33, which included 15 nationally-ranked schools and seven of the country’s best top-10 teams.

twitter: boxin_briecoder