Managing what is already on your plate

Donnetta Shanklin, Opinions Writer

School is stressful enough on its own. Adding work and extracurricular activities is hard, too. For some, managing things is not that hard, but for others, it’s nearly impossible.

Every story is different and not everyone has to work to afford college, but some do. In high school we were always told we had to do more than just going to school.If we did the bare minimum, we wouldn’t get into college. Doing the bare minimum would not get you into an Ivy League school. This goes for high school and college. The purpose of extracurriculars is to make your application for jobs and other schools stand out just as much as it did in high school. College is a lot harder than high school so trying to evenly balance school work, work, extra curricular, and a social life can be quite the challenge. Although it may come to some as a challenge, it’s not impossible. A lot of it could depend on how many classes someone is taking or how many hours they work. A lot can also depend on how many clubs someone wants to join or if they’re in a sport or something along those lines.

The key to being successful is to prioritize what’s most important, follow a strict schedule, and write everything down. I like many other people forget what’s going on because I am so involved that I will accidentally schedule something at the same time as something else. That can make the stress load a lot heavier because then one needs to choose on which activity to partake in. The simple fact is when it could have been all avoided had it been written down in multiple places. Staying organized and ahead of the game can be super helpful to balance everything.

Another healthy way to manage is to only sign up for what you can handle. It’s always great to be heavily involved with your university, but at the end of the day, your health is what matters most. Trying not to schedule more than you can handle is a lot healthier and might seem a bit easier. Putting your own happiness first is another way to manage extracurricular and school. Unless one completely has to, it’s not wise to join something that would make one miserable. Yes, it is true that the main point of extracurricular is to stand out, but at the end of the day, it is supposed to be fun. Participating in hobbies and finding jobs that one likes would make the time go a lot faster, and people should want to join clubs for themselves and not just because it looks good on a resume.

At the end of the day, keeping track of important dates, and joining things that makes one happy is how to manage extracurriculars and school and to make the process a bit easier. Nothing is impossible but with the right mindset and guidance if someone wants it all and to be super involved then it if very possible.