Get scared at Horn Field

Horn Field will provide the scares for the Halloween season.

Located at 985 China Rd in the south end of Macomb, Horn Field is an outdoor recreational facility owned by Western Illinois University. Horn Field sits on over 90 acres of land, which the university believes offers educational experiences for students and relaxing opportunities for members of the Macomb community.

Managed by Western’s Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Administration, Horn Field also offers the public a lodge, cabins, and views from a climbing tower.

To prepare for Halloween, Horn Field has been transforming its grounds to create a spookier vibe. Starting soon, it will offer the public a chance to navigate through the facility’s corn maze or haunted trail.

The Horn Environmental Learning Program (H.E.L.P.) has been orchestrating scares for several years. On a volunteer basis, members of the group work for months in advance to get the corn maze up and running, which will debut Saturday.

The letters “WIU” have been cut into the corn to showcase the University, but visitors may not find that helpful; volunteers have created numerouspaths in an attempt to mislead and throw off participants. The maze will also be open Oct. 13, 14, 20, 21, and 27. The hours of operation run from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Ashley Demers is the President of H.E.L.P. and she believes the effort will show.

“We have been rocking out all the little trails and dead ends,” Demers said.

Demers and other members of H.E.L.P. have helped maintain the cleanliness on Horn Field. The group has also lent a hand in projects like campus cleanup days, adopt-a-street, and Outdoor Skills Seminar. According to wiu.edu, H.E.L.P. seeks to provide local community members with a fun and social environment right in Macomb’s backyard.

Rounding out this year’s scare fest, the haunted trail will open up on Oct. 28. The haunted trail will lead visitors through the woods on the property, providing scares along the way from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. In the first session, families are welcome to participate for scares on the mild side, while the second session will only interest those who are more willing to test their fear.

For those looking to participate, the cost is $5 per person. Per the flyers for the events, an adult or guardian must accompany those who are under the age of 16. Additionally, volunteers are still needed for both the corn maze and the haunted trail. To volunteer, contact (309) 298-4676 or HF-Campus@wiu.edu.