Captain America’s last ride

Tea Wheat, Entertainment Writer

Since 2011, Marvel fans have become accustomed to seeing one man play the first Avenger: Chris Evans. But his time as Captain America has come to a close as the filming of Avengers 4 has wrapped up. Captain America has been the main character in three Marvel movies and a co-star in the three Avengers movies. Evans took to Twitter last Thursday to announce his retirement from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). “Playing this role over the last eight years has been an honor. To everyone in front of the camera, behind the camera, and in the audience, thank you for the memories! Eternally grateful.”

After being signed to a six-movie contract in 2011, Evans agreed to extend his original contract for one more movie after “Avengers: Infinity War,” so that his time as Steve Rogers would have some closure for fans. While he might not have been the first star signed by Marvel Studios (Robert Downing Jr. was the first), Evans and his role have been key elements of the MCU. Fans aren’t the only ones expressing their disappointment over his retirement of the role. Some of Evans’ costars in the MCU reacted to his tweet as well. Downing Jr. jokingly replied to the tweet with a picture of Buzz Lightyear dressed as Ironman and Woody dressed as Captain America with the caption, “We all know who the real sheriff in town is.” The two stars have become close through the years, and the pair will miss each other.

Evans has been our Captain America. He will forever be synonymous with the role for millions of fans. While he may be moving on from the MCU, fans will be eternally grateful for all the great moments and joy that he has given.