Catapult will dance to Macomb

A prominent dance group and product of “America’s Got Talent” will perform at Western Illinois University.

Western’s Union Grand Ballroom will host the dance group “CatapultEntertainment” on Oct. 22 at 7:30 p.m. Catapult is a collaborative dance group who offers original shadow performances for concerts, commercials or corporate settings. Previously, the group worked alongside companies like UPS, the YMCA and Girl Scouts of America.

Adam Battelstein is responsible for creating the group back in 2008. Prior to starting Catapult, Battelstein spent nearly two decades with Pilobolus, a dance company recognized all around the world. Fans may recognize him from his days performing and directing on “The Oprah Show,” the Academy Awards and at Carnegie Hall.

After auditioning in Season 8 of “America’s Got Talent,” the group received a standing ovation, and each of the show’s four judges voted to put the group through to the next round. Catapult advanced and passed the quarterfinals and semifinals, before being eliminated as one of the final 12 acts. Although the group fell short of winning, “America’s Got Talent” helped bring more attention and notoriety their way. Per the group’s website, Battelstein believes creativity is the group’s strength.

“The most important thing is that Catapult goes to work for you, I go to work for you,” Battelstein said. “I bring my experience, my sense of imagination and humor to your project.”

Before Oct. 22, the group will perform for the Youth Performance Arts Series, which allows local children to experience different variations of art on Western’s campus. Their performance in Macomb will conclude their two stop trip in the state of Illinois; they will appear at the Egyptian Theatre in Dekalb, Ill. on Oct. 20. Catapult’s tour schedule shows that the group has booked 50 performances from now through March 2019.

For those interested in attending the performance, prices are $15 for members of the public, $10 for senior citizens, children and faculty members at Western. Students who attend Western may attend for free if they provide their student ID. Tickets are sold at westernpresents.com.

Battelstein stresses that the group maintains a strong presence on stage. “Even though you may not have heard of them, they currently dance on Broadway, at the Met, on stages and film festivals around the world,” he said.