10th annual Career Preparation Day to be hosted next week

Career Preparation Day Coordinator Stacey Macchi gets ready to host the 10th
annual event.

WIU.EDU

Career Preparation Day Coordinator Stacey Macchi gets ready to host the 10th annual event.

Oct. 16 will mark the 10 year anniversary of the Department of Communication’s annual Career Preparation Day hosted in the University Union.

The one-day conference created by full-time faculty member Cynthia Ridle and assistant professor Stacey Macchi to help communication majors and minors prepare for their careers and lives beyond college. Western alumni will conduct various workshops to help students learn how to do an interview effectively and how to properly conduct a job search. These alumni have come back year after year to help put on the event.

The day starts with registration outside of the Grand Ballroom and a welcome from the Department of Communication chairman Peter Jorgensen at 8 a.m.

“Career Preparation Day is a multifaceted event designed to celebrate the successes of our alumni, to explore the promise of satisfying careers in Communication, and to provide our undergraduate students with opportunities to take advantage of the enormous flexibility of the Communication degree,” Jorgensen said. “It is a time to connect with alumni, develop professional networks, and to help our students understand what kinds of career options are available to them as well as how to compete for those positions.”

Workshops this year include Social Media 101, Surviving the 1st Day of Work and Fighting for a Seat at the Table among others.

The Keynote speaker for the 2018 Career Preparation Day will be Mike Gerrish. Gerrish currently serves as the Vice President of Marketing at the Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield. His speech is centered on helping students “Build Your Brand.” Gerrish earned both his Bachelors and Masters degree in Communication from Western in 1997 and 1999.

“Talking Tough, How to Choose a Career and The Forward 5” will be the topic of the afternoon session. Among that will be a resume workshop and a Western Top Model Fashion Show of what and what not to wear to an interview, which are the two most popular breakout sessions. The day will end with a networking and dessert social. “This day has become the Department of Communication’s largest event and is a success because of generous donations from the Department of Communication alumni,” Macchi said in an email to the Western Courier.

If anyone has question in regards to the Career Preparation Day, contact the Career Preparation Day Coordinator Stacey Macchi at SM-Macchi@wiu.edu.