Men’s soccer blown out by Bulldogs

Becca Langys/ Photo Editor

Tim Trilk stays completely focused during practice.

Michael Harms , Courier Staff

DES MOINES, Iowa. — After a bye week, the Western Illinois University men’s soccer dropped an away game at Drake University last night in a disappointing fashion. With a final score of 0-4, the Leathernecks drop to 2-5-2 on the season, and Drake increased to 5-3-1.

The game was over within the first half of the match. The downhill slope started in the 15th minute as sophomore forward Leroy Enzugusi put in his fourth goal of the season to put the Bulldogs up by one.

The momentum never faded for Drake as they put the pedal down and scored just seconds later. After a quick turnover Drake hurried up the field as junior midfielder Antonio Sanchez put the Leathernecks down 2-0.

Looking to get back in it the Leathernecks did not seem to have the energy in the match and felt defeated early. The Bulldogs seized the opportunity to put the dagger away in just the 18th minute. Senior Steven Enna landed a shot past goalkeeper Tim Trilk to put the game out of reach.

It felt as if the game was over by the 20th minute into the 90-minute match. With three goals coming in such quick succession the momentum was all on Drake’s side and they never let the Leathernecks get back into it.

Drake, well deservingly, kept the shutout the rest of the match along with tallying just one final goal from Enzugusi for his second on the day. It was a hard defeat for the Leathernecks away from home; the energy was simply not there.

This was the last game before Summit League play starts, and Western is tied for the second worst record in the Summit League. Denver leads with a record of 8-0-1 and one Summit League victory over the University of Nebraska-Omaha earlier this week.

Rounding out the rest of The Summit League in order is Purdue Fort Wayne (6-3), Oral Roberts (5-3-1), Eastern Illinois (2-5-2) and Omaha at 1-5.

Western will have its first conference game here at John Mackenzie Alumni Field this Saturday at noon. They hope to rebound after their loss. Last year, the Leathernecks won this matchup 1-0 and hope to do it once more this year.

Many eyes are looking towards senior forward Drew Whalen who has missed most of the season so far with an injury. He did not play against Drake, but can be the explosive presence that the Leathernecks need right now.

Last year Whalen led the team with eight goals and 56 shots. His senior presence earned him pre-season player to watch for the Summit League and hopefully we will be able to watch him much more now that conference play is starting.

Side by side with flashy forward Xavier Brown, this offense will look to break away from the bottom half of the league and earn their eighth consecutive playoff appearance. Currently Denver is favored to win the conference. They have the talent and the experience in the post season to win it all.

Coach Johnson said earlier in the season that the teams overall goal was to make it back to the NCAA tournament which hasn’t been done since 2012.

In order to do that Western will have to clinch a spot in the League tournament and win.

The path starts this weekend as they host Oral Roberts University here in Macomb.

Kickoff is set for noon on Saturday.