Women’s soccer stunned by Redbirds

Madeline Edwards focuses in on the ball as she dribbles in a home game at John Mackenzie Alumni Field.

Christopher Bean, Courier Staff

NORMAL, Ill. — The Western Illinois University women’s soccer team traveled to Illinois State University on Wednesday night to complete their three-game road trip. Western fell to ISU by a score of 4-1. The Leathernecks are now 2-6-1 overall, while the Redbirds are 5-4-2 on the season.

Unfortunately for the Leathernecks it didn’t start as planned. The Redbirds got off to a quick start scoring in the sixth minute from junior midfielder Kate Del Fava, scoring her third goal of the year.

However, it didn’t take long for Western to answer back with the equalizer. Freshman defender Zoe Clarke scored her first goal as a Leatherneck in the 13th minute to tie it at one a piece. The scoring wasn’t done yet in the half as the Redbirds regained the lead in the 32nd minute from junior Alix McArthur. McArthur joined Del Fava also scoring her third goal of the year. The score stayed the same heading into the half 2-1 in favor of the Redbirds.

The second half was dominated by Illinois State’s offense. The Redbirds had 14 of their 20 shots in the second half, while Western only had five. Freshman Hannah Muller stepped up and took over the game for the Redbirds scoring her first goal in 74th minute. She wasn’t done scoring just yet. In the 80th minute she put the game away scoring her second goal to make it 4-1. That result would stay the same to make it final and dropped Western to 2-6-1. The Redbirds improved to 5-4-2 and are still undefeated at home with a 3-0-1 record.

With the 4-1 loss on Wednesday, Western has scored 1 goal or less in eight of the nine games and have been shutout in two of those games. They have only scored 11 goals the whole year and five of them came against Chicago State. They’ve only had 10 or more shots in four games. There’s no question they need to find some offense. Although it has improved from last year when they only scored 13 goals and nine coming in one game. The good news is they have nine days before there next game to try and improve their offense before starting up conference play.

Western will host a pair of home games next Friday and Sunday to start Summit League play. They host with North Dakota State first followed by South Dakota State on Sunday. Western will try and start 2-0 in the Summit League for the first since 2012, when they started 4-0.

twitter: cre_bean