A look at the Bears after week two

A look at the Bears after week two

Chicago Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky on the sidelines.

WIKIMEDIA.ORG

WIKIMEDIA.ORG

WIKIMEDIA.ORG

Brendan Reidy, Sports Writer

The Chicago Bears hosted their home opener this past Monday. The Bears were set to play against the Seahawks. Two teams that are going in two separate directions. The Seahawks were once the crowned jewel of the NFL, having one of the best defensive units assembled.

However, now, there are only two players from that defensive squad left standing, and they are on the verge of a complete roster overhaul. The Bears, on the other hand, are on the rise. Electricity was in the air as this new Bears offense was set to play in front of their home crowd for the first time. All eyes were on Mitchell Trubisky and the offense, but Khalil Mack and his “dawgs” stole the show.

The defense got off to a blazing start, halting Wilson and the Seahawks on the first drive of the game. This was huge for the Chicago defense to get off on the right foot because Russell Wilson always comes to play on prime time. Before Monday, he was 6-1, with a 115 QBR during his prime time career. The Bears offense came out rolling. They were firing on all cylinders and scored a touchdown on their first possession. Obviously, Trubisky misfired a few passes, but that will come with experience. The Bears capped off a nine play, 97-yard drive with a very creative play-action shuffle pass to Trey Burton.

After the first drive, however, the Bears offense began to stall. This is when the Monsters of the Midway began to play. The defense was terrorizing Wilson all game long. He was sacked six times and hit on thirteen other drop backs. After week one, many people were wondering if the Bears defense should be taken seriously or if it was a fluke. After Monday’s matchup, teams all around the League have been put on notice. The defense held Seattle to 80 total yards of offense during the first half, and the Bears led the Seahawks by a score, leading 10-3.

The second half of the game had more scoring. Trubisky connected on his second touchdown pass of the contest with Anthony Miller for his first touchdown catch of his career. However, Seattle answered right back. Wilson threw a perfect over the shoulder pass to Tyler Lockett in the back of the end zone, making the score 17-10. Chicago offense reached a standstill again, and now Wilson and the Seahawks had an opportunity to tie up the game.

Early in the drive, Wilson fell under pressure and threw a duck to his receiver, but was picked off by Prince Ammukamara. Prince took it all the way back into the end zone for his first pick-six of his football career. The score was now 24-10 in favor of Chicago, and now out of reach for the Seahawks.

The Chicago Bears “Monster like” performance helped defeat the Seattle Seahawks 24-17. The Chicago Bears go on the road to face a struggling Arizona Cardinals team. The first half schedule is very critical for the Bears season this year.

The defense is in place, but the offense will need to improve if Chicago wants to sneak into the playoffs this year. During the first half, the Bears offense will need to get better week in and week out. Their season rides on the shoulders of Trubisky’s development. A fun season awaits, but only time will tell what the finished results will be.