Kids are using too much technology

Emma Johnson, Courier Staff

When was the last time you made a phone call to a friend just to talk or see how their day was? Or the last time you wrote and mailed a letter? How about the last time you went up to the door and knocked to let someone know you were outside to pick them up?

Technology has been quickly evolving ever since I can remember. My first phone was a Motorola Razr, and the idea of having internet on a cell phone was unheard of. Fast forward 10 years and everything from the internet, to video games, to Netflix is all right in the palm of our hands. These fast technology advancements have helped our generation accomplish things that would blow our ancestors minds; however, it has also harmed us.

Technology is not only harming our children’s development, but our entire worlds conversation skills as well. Firstly, technology is playing a major negative affect on children’s brain development

Kids are being taught in classrooms surrounded by screens and online lessons, and in return this is hurting their imagination skills and their memory. Instead of learning how to retain information, kids are learning how to look up the information they need online. They are no longer using their imagination to entertain themselves, instead they are turning on a video game or computer screen.

Not only is technology hurting children’s learning development, it is also hurting their emotional development. Kids are being exposed to pictures of models living rich and luxurious lives, when that is merely an illusion of reality. Children are raised being surrounded by post of people who are prettier or richer than them, and that plants the seed for them to grow up to be jealous or unhappy with their own lives.

Overuse of technology can also lead to negative health effects. Sitting down for extended periods of time while online leads to decreased physical activity, which can in return lead to obesity. Obesity has also commonly been found to play a factor in poor mental health.

Aside from children’s development, technology has begun to affect our entire generations communication skills. For example, when was the last time you were standing among strangers and decided to spark up a conversation with someone you don’t know? Instead we pull out and play on our cell phones to avoid any awkwardness. Many people would also rather send a text to someone instead of talking on the phone.

According to an article by the Pew Research Center, 55 percent of frequent texters said they would rather text someone instead of making a phone call. Technology has created dehumanization and depersonalization in the way we communicate. This makes it harder for people to remember that an actual person is on the other side of the conversation.

Technology is a wonderful tool for nearly every aspect of our lives; however, we can’t let it run our lives. Next time you are standing outside of the classroom waiting for the teacher to come unlock the door, maybe try making conversation with your classmates next to you, instead of staring down at your phone screen.