SGA encourages students to get involved and apply for scholarships

During Tuesday's meeting, members of the Student Government Association elected Joe Reinert as Speaker Pro Tempore for the 50th legislative session.

Marc Ramirez/ News Editor

Marc Ramirez/ News Editor

Marc Ramirez/ News Editor

Tuesday’s Student Government Association meeting was called to order to cover business on the agenda concerning an election for Speaker Pro Tempore and an appointment to fill the vacant Director of Student Services position on the executive branch.

During cabinet reports, President Grant Reed spoke up as he did last week, encouraging all senators to inform their constituents about the Fall 2018 SGA Scholarship awarded to two individuals per semester. The award is presented to the students who are high achieving and who are also active in student activities here at Western Illinois University.

“The SGA Scholarship is up on our page right now, so encourage those who are academically and organizationally successful to apply for that,” Reed said. “It’s $400, awarded to two students each semester.”

Reed continued to discuss that two positions of the executive branch remained vacant and are looking for students to fill within the upcoming weeks. It is encouraged that if senators know anyone willing and deserving of the position, that they reach out to that individual, and show them how to apply on Purple Post.

“The Director of Technology and Chief of Staff spots remain vacant, so if you know anybody who is interested sent that over to them,” Reed said during Tuesday’s meeting.

Another monetary award given out by the SGA is the SGA Student of the Month. This award is given to one person each month that has stood out as an exceptional leader on campus and is deserving of recognition for their hard work and commitment. These students must contribute to the university through their academics, extracurricular and through Leatherneck Pride.

Next to speak during cabinet reports was Vice President Madison Lynn about a new event she is putting on, The Superhero Blue Light Fun Run/Walk. This event is a costume charity run to raise awareness to sexual assault and domestic violence and will highlight all the safety blue lights on campus.

“Tell your friends, take pictures and share on social media, we’re going to get flyers hung up in the residence halls soon and we would like to highly encourage all of you, including cabinet members, to volunteer or participate in the event,” Lynn said. “We would really like to have this whole body involved in some way, shape or form whether be being at tabling, handing out t-shirts or running in the event yourself. The date again for that is Oct. 20 starting registration at 8 a.m., running by 9 a.m. and being done by 11 a.m.”

Moving into new business, members of the association vote for a new Speaker Pro Tempore. This is an elected member who acts as the placeholder of the speaker when the speaker is either not in attendance or steps down for a vote during a conflicting situation. Last week there was only one nominee, College of Business and Technology Senator Joe Reinert. Reinert won by a vote of 11-0-0, making him the next Speaker Pro Tempore for the 50th Legislative Session of the Student Government Association.

Last on the agenda was SGA Presidential Bill of Appointment 2018-2019.005, a bill appointing the new Director of Student Services. Authored by Reed, he thought Daria Levchenko would be a good candidate because he saw her as an exceptional and emerging new student leader at Western. The senators present made this decision unanimously, as she was elected to fill the previously vacant spot on the executive branch.