Cross Country pushes for personal bests

Abigail Richter in action at the Bradley Intercolligiate meet.

Brie Coder, Courier Staff

PEORIA, Ill. — It was a celebratory evening on Friday night for both the Western Illinois men and women’s cross country teams, as juniors Nicole Beebe and Abigail Richter, sophomore Hailey Tranchitella and senior Lucas Lingle earned top-25 finishes at the Bradley Intercollegiate.

Unfortunately with every high there’s a low, and the women’s roaster was feeling the low physically as several teammates were recuperating from sicknesses. Head coach Nick Maas was still quite enthused with everyone’s performances, however he felt it’s necessary to give the team a recovery period so at their next meet each participant is in tip top shape.

“On the women’s side, we had a bit of a rough week with sickness as six of the girls that raced today were still struggling with a cold,” Maas said. “We need a little time to recover from this and get better. I still think that we are better than a year ago. Overall a good learning experience for all.”

For the men’s division, Lingle made a career- best in the 8K with 26:15.6, which placed him in 23rd overall. This is currently the best for any male Leatherneck. Following behind Lingle was freshman Lucas Howett with a time of 26:54.2 and a 35th place mark. Sophomore Corey Moody set a personal best time of 27:57.3, and a 43rd place finish.

Additionally junior Ross Smetzer and freshman Alec Scott came in with back-to-back times of 28:35.8 and 28:40.5 which placed both of them in the 50th and 51st spots. Sophomore Cameron Schroeder picked up the 57th place finish with 29:02.6. Sophomore Quintin Thurman created his personal-best with 29:58.8, and freshman Angel Yescas came in at 30:00.7, which brought both men in the 62nd and 63rd mark.

In the women’s three-mile course, Beebe came in with a 16th place finish with a time of 18:07.7. Richter was right behind Beebe with an 18:08.6 time and a 17th place spot. Tranchitella finished the top-20 ranks with 18:17.3.

Freshman Mackenzie Goldring (19:38.8), sophomore Jacey Roper (19:41.5) and senior Jamieria Stennis (19:56.7) finished in 37th, 38th and 39th place. Freshmen sisters Elyse (19:59.3) and Kaitlyn Matthews (20:52.8) wrapped up the event with 41st and 47th place.

The Western Illinois men came in with an overall total of 149 points and a fifth place finish. Even though the women were still feeling ill they impressed their team with a third place rank and a total of 109 points.

The Purple and Gold teams will have a two week gap to rest and practice until their next big event at the Minnesota Roy Griak Invite in Minneapolis on Saturday, Sept. 29. Western however will be back in Peoria, Ill. on Friday, Oct. 12 at the Bradley Pink Classic. Until then, the cross country teams will focus on getting healthy and maintain putting their best foot forward.

twitter: boxin_briecoder